Better than a Barracuda?

dC0m

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
5,285
I have a Razer Barracuda AC-1 and want to know which card is better than it for around ~$100. I'll be getting rid of my Barracuda in a few days and in a market for a different card.

A few that I've been looking at was:

-Asus Xonars (DX/ D2/ D2X??)

-Creative X-Fi(s) - (XtremeGamer/XtremeAudio/ Titanium)

-HT Omega (Claro/Omega)

-AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude

I'm currently using Harman/Kardon SOUNDSTICKII as my 2.1 setup but I hope to upgrade to my own setup in a few months for I love blasting my music.

I also do occasional gaming, but I'm more into using my sound system for music.
 
For music the current ideal buy is a ZERO DAC. I don't own one but you might want to look into it.
 
the ZERO DAC acts as a DAC and an amp...as long as you have an digital out from your PC (onboard perhaps), it's a good choice to have it run as a DAC only and let the soundstick's amp do the amping (I assume it has one, I can't tell from the pics)

if you use digital out with something like the ZERO doing the DAC, upgrading audio cards may not be worth while for you right now...upgrading, you will get bitmatching, ASIO, crap like that, but you can do without for now

so having said that, if you want something to upgrade, get the ZERO, use digital out from your pc and see if that pleases your ear...then after that, consider piecing together a system, then upgrade the audio card

if you don't have a digital out (not sure what outputs the Barracuda has), then go with something like the prelude and let it do the DAC...use analog out...when you get more funds, you can decide to upgrade to a seperate DAC or components

my 2 cents
 
I'm actually looking for the card itself rather than a external amp. I'll get my new receiver/ speaker setup once I have the funds.
 
By amp he means headphone amp. To my knowledge it doesn't power speakers. But from what I've read you can go from PC -> ZERO DAC -> Line out to speakers or use built in headphone amp. The ZERO DAC serves as the audio "card".

Connection can be come by optical or coaxial or USB with a converter. An external solution is superior to a internal card due to less noise.

I use an EMU 0404 PCI card, those can be had for $100.
 
By amp he means headphone amp. To my knowledge it doesn't power speakers. But from what I've read you can go from PC -> ZERO DAC -> Line out to speakers or use built in headphone amp. The ZERO DAC serves as the audio "card".

Connection can be come by optical or coaxial or USB with a converter. An external solution is superior to a internal card due to less noise.

I use an EMU 0404 PCI card, those can be had for $100.

exactly; I mean headphone amp

and I can confirm what you've read as I've read the same...you can use the ZERO for either a decoder or as a decoder and amp

OP, if you're keen on a sound card, do lots of reading...I went with the prelude for price/performance reason, and I'm happy with it, but I have a HT receiver doing my amp/amp...the card itself in my case is nothing but a glorified transmitter...I found it sounded like complete crap when I used it as a DAC compared to an external receiver
 
He's buying a receiver/speaker setup later, why waste money on a soundcard or even the Zero dac.

Use your onboard digital optical/coaxial out into the receiver........................ unless you want bit-matched digital output then get a cheap x-fi or something similar that does bit-match output.

The Zero dac is a total waste of money in this situation, and your soundsticks probably won't sound any better even with a better soundcard.
 
That is assuming that the receiver has a better sounding DAC than the ZERO DAC has inside. It's a toss up.
 
He doesn't need the Zero, the money saved can get him a high end Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer receiver which sounds great.

The zero will be useless if he get a receiver as it only output stereo lineout, as oppose to getting the digital signal going straight from the PC to the receiver without any interruptions.
 
That's what I was planning to do. I was planning to save up for a Onkyo/Yamaha/Pioneer/Harman&Kardon Receiver.

But also with that receiver, do I need a good-decent sound card?
 
Digital signal sounds the same as long as your have it on your onboard.

I am currently using the digital out on my Xtrememusic, just because I got the sound card when I first built the system.. but the digital out on the x-fi sounds the same as the onboard to me.
 
I have the Prelude connected to a Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver. My speakers are in my sig. I originally used my mobo's optical out to the XR57, but sometimes heard an annoying buzzing sound that got on my nerves big time. Apparently, this is a common problem with some onboard audio. I chose the Prelude mostly because I'm a gamer and this card has X-Fi. Since you're mainly into music, I recommend the HT Claro or Claro+. They're excellent sound cards.

As for a receiver, the XR57 is a very good choice for around $250. It's got digital amps, an excellent DAC, bi-amping, lots more features. I'll be upgrading to a Yamaha RX-V863 in a few weeks. I auditioned it recently and fell in love.

Be warned: You'll be overwhelmed with upgrade-itis, a common affliction that drains the wallet of anyone who ventures into the world of hi-end PC audio. :p
 
Be warned: You'll be overwhelmed with upgrade-itis, a common affliction that drains the wallet of anyone who ventures into the world of hi-end PC audio. :p

No kidding. I don't know why but I keep wanting more and more audio gear. Must hold off... on Bel Canto DAC...
 
I have the Prelude connected to a Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver. My speakers are in my sig. I originally used my mobo's optical out to the XR57, but sometimes heard an annoying buzzing sound that got on my nerves big time. Apparently, this is a common problem with some onboard audio. I chose the Prelude mostly because I'm a gamer and this card has X-Fi. Since you're mainly into music, I recommend the HT Claro or Claro+. They're excellent sound cards.

As for a receiver, the XR57 is a very good choice for around $250. It's got digital amps, an excellent DAC, bi-amping, lots more features. I'll be upgrading to a Yamaha RX-V863 in a few weeks. I auditioned it recently and fell in love.

Be warned: You'll be overwhelmed with upgrade-itis, a common affliction that drains the wallet of anyone who ventures into the world of hi-end PC audio. :p
Yeah i agree, I got the xr-55 witch is the same minus the hdmi witch i didnt need as i only have 2.1 from my pc. Id like to upgrade to something smaller and better tho as i feel like im wasting a receiver because its 5.1 and has tons of inputs but im just using 2.1 and have 1 input plugged in.
 
Um. The headphone amp on the 55 and 57 = not so good. Better to use these receivers actual speaker output only. Aslo, only use digital sources or you will not get their best sound.

Just get an X-FI Titanium or the Prelude.
 
My initial plan was to run from my sound card (Now either a ASUS Xonar DX/ X-Fi Titanium/ AuzenTech Prelude) to a external receiver (Onkyo / Harman/Kardon / Yamaha / Pioneer) then to my speaker setup.

My speaker setup and external receiver I will purchase later.

Also, how are the Harman/Kardon receivers? I know Onkyos are pretty good. I don't want to spend a lot, and I like Onkyos / Harman/ Kardon price range/performance. Any suggestion on specific models?
 
Just save up for the receiver (or buy one now if you have the money) and skip the whole sound card business. You don't need one for what you want to do, unless your motherboard doesn't have optical or coaxial output, which it should.
 
I like the Pioneer 518 over the entry level Onkyo or Yamaha. The Panasonic XR-57 is the most powerful and clear of all the sub $300 receivers. It will run anything well and do fantastic for movies and games.

The $100 Titanium is the best deal for soundcards.

The JVC HAR-X900 is the best deal for headphones.
 
So if I were to say, in the $200 - $300 range receivers, Panasonic XR-57 would be a good choice? Any other suggestions? From Onkyo or Harman/Kardon?

Also, I've been looking at the Swans M10 a lot lately and think I like them. The thing is I want something more beefy.
 
You can't go wrong with the Panasonic XR57 in the sub-$300 category. About a month ago, I tried a Pioneer VSX-918. After about a week, I realized it couldn't measure up to my XR57 so I cheerfully reconnected it to my PC.
 
Is the V1800 a Pioneer? I know Yamaha has an RX-V1800. I'm a big Yamaha fan and will buy an RX-V863 in November. :D
 
Any more recommendations for sub $300? I'm looking from $200 - $300.
 
I believe the V1800 is a Yamaha.

Also, AV or stereo? Might sounds like a stupid questions but I'm learning here.
 
Yes, a Yammy. Paid 7 bills for mine.. My plan was to take advantage of blu rays audio, but can't stop buying headphones.. I'm afraid I'd be 'downgrading' buying cheap speakers. I do like Silent Cinema through headphones though..22 DSP modes to choose from and change.. The headphone out is surprisingly good with clean power, tight bass, good dynamics, and excellent noise floor. Might sell my LCD HDTV to pay for a purity audio headphone amp and good external DAC.. I'd like to just quiet.. But I'm obsessed with getting better and better audio.
 
I believe the V1800 is a Yamaha.

Also, AV or stereo? Might sounds like a stupid questions but I'm learning here.
Computer gaming wise go for a 5.1 Audio/video receiver..Digital to Digital. Though, 2.0 stere still rules for most audio aplications. I prefer Stereo over digital for games also.. But use stereo headphones.
 
Back
Top