Best Wireless network scanner?

perplex

Gawd
Hello, I was wondering what the best wireless internet seeker is? i've seen a few keyring type ones, but i get confused with all the specifications of wireless network they can scan. I'm not in the networking scene so i dont understand all the 802.1g etc etc jargon :p . does it mean that the scanner will only be able to scan a certain type of network? :rolleyes: . sorry for my ignorance and arrogance towards google for this; but what else are forums for? :cool:

so, what's the best one about? it should be nice and smalle like a keyring! ;)

It's a computer program so it will find any 802.11 wireless network that the card supports.

It's not on of those hardware scanners.

The best thing is a pocketpc pda with wireless capabilities and ministumbler running on that, very nice.

and as far as best software scanner, kismet is definatly the winner, since it only listens for packets you get far more results, with netstumbler it sends a sort of ping out to the wireless devices and waits for a response, so you can only find networks that you are able to send and receive to.

The best, if you can afford it, is AirMagnet. Available for both Windows and Pocket PC.

Kismet is good too but only available for *nix.

Back