Best way to record?

StArGaZeR

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
119
I want to record some streaming video/audio off of my computer for an online class I'm taking. I have an s-video out on my card so I could run it to my tv and record it that way but what about the audio? I'm thinking s-video only transmits picture, not sound. What would be the best way to get the sound also?
 
If you GFX card has composite video out then you could get a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable for your soundcard. Then you could connect this all up to a stereo VCR. Would this do or you need better quality? You might need to expermiment with levels and make sure your audio card is set for stereo. This is the easiest setup that comes to mind. Use a TV as a monitor on the other side of the VCR so you can make sure the video is set correctly. Hope this helps with your class.:cool:
 
The sound quality isn't very important at all, as along as I can here it. I have on-board sound that has 4 places for speakers and one for a mic, I always hook my speakers into the green one, not sure what blue, yellow and black are for.....
 
Yellow is subwoofer and center channel and black is your rear channels. You probably have either a 5.1 or 7.1 onboard.
You should connect the adapter cable to the green jack and the RCA's to the audio in on the VCR. Connect up the video in from your gfx card and your good to record. This is very easy and simple to use and hook up.
 
Thanks for the help, upon further inspection I noticed that I also have to little prongs sticking out that are labled spdif in and out. I guess that is for higher quality sound, if I have that same connection on the back of the vcr could I use that?
 
Yeah that is digital I/O on newer onboards it is usually just output I doubt you would have that input on a VCR. It is a digital connection. IF you need anymore help just post back. Good luck
 
I'm actually thinking of doing this with a dvd recorder, that may be more likely to have the spdif ports on it than a vcr would. Thanks for all your help.
 
Well yeah you can use that. I was saying use a VCR becasue everybody has one of those usually. If you have a DVD recorder then by all means, you can use the S-video for great picture unless you card has component output which is better. For audio just use the SP/DIF. Sometimes they can be tricky to get working though. Good luck
 
Back
Top