Best way to drain a WC setup?

Dangerden fillports are copper/brass (outer bit) and aluminum (center) for great corrosion fun!

lol, if used as a drain valve at the bottom of the case where coolant is always circulating over it i can agree - but when the drain valve is at the top of a system normally, and about 99% of the time there is coolant in the loop, corrosion is less likely to happen right? the coolant is not making contact with the aluminum parts of the tline if its the highest component in the loop, when acting as a res i think...

just my thoughts :) im really wanting a tline now, connected to one of petras resevoir (connected via the top, so i can fill easily from outside my case, yet drain easy by flipping my case upside-down).

Why not just use some of those high flow quick disconnects that mcmaster sells? Have the quick disconnect right after the exit from the pump and when your ready to drain just disconnect and then plug in another quick disconnect that is connected to a short line of tubing that runs to a container of some sort. Turn the pump on briefly and let the pump do the work for you. Should take a matter of mins and no chance for any spills / leakage. Only downside is you'd have to purchase to sets of quick disconnects but they really aren't that expensive compared to normal water cooling products.

Something like this maybe.............:eek:

27gd2.jpg

I have a question, my loop is: D5>>>Black Ice GT Stealth 240>>>TDX>>>MAZE4 (chipset)>>>Black Ice GT Stealth 120>>>MAZE4 (GPU)>>>DD Single 5 1/4" Bay Res.>>> and back to D5.

My WC setup is from 09-23-2006 and stupid PC Ice got all blurry (dont ever buy that CRAP!) and made my blocks blurry too along with my tubing... Will a 25% vinegar and water solution clean my loop sparkle clear when i leave it overnight? And i bet my D5 is all nasty inside... should i take it apart and clean it by hand?

Also in that 25% vinagar/water solution, water needs to be distiled right?

Thanks for your help :)

I have a question, my loop is: D5>>>Black Ice GT Stealth 240>>>TDX>>>MAZE4 (chipset)>>>Black Ice GT Stealth 120>>>MAZE4 (GPU)>>>DD Single 5 1/4" Bay Res.>>> and back to D5.

My WC setup is from 09-23-2006 and stupid PC Ice got all blurry (dont ever buy that CRAP!) and made my blocks blurry too along with my tubing... Will a 25% vinegar and water solution clean my loop sparkle clear when i leave it overnight? And i bet my D5 is all nasty inside... should i take it apart and clean it by hand?

Also in that 25% vinagar/water solution, water needs to be distiled right?

Thanks for your help :)

Yes, whether you're flushing or using it as coolant, you should always run Deionized water no matter what. A quick rinse with vinegar (don't leave it too long) would do the trick. However, if you have any oxidation, some Ketchup (yes ketchup) will work as well. Afterwards, I'd suggest buying a submersible pump and just run boiling or very hot water through your entire loop.

To make life easy, the best way to drain future loops is to put a T-fitting right after your pump. Connect the T to some tubing with a fill-port (DD 's finally good for something) at the end. Purchasing some tube clamps would help as well. This way you can clamp, open up the fill port, unclamp for a very easy, non messy way to drain your loop.

Heres how I did it:

Got a ball valve from Ace hardware, and put it after a Y-fitting, as low as possible in the loop. If I open it and drain the system, all water excpet whats in the rad is drained. Makes it a piece of cake to change blocks etc. If I want to completely drain the entire system, I first drain it using the valve, then the remaining water is drained through the plug in the PA radiator, which is at the bottom of it all.
Its kind of a bitch to figure out and install a drain system, but once its there it makes everything soo much easier.

Pics:

drain1.jpg

drain2.jpg

:)

no but really, I see no use for one. and I have been watercooling since pre 1Ghz days.

And I guess that's supposed to impress someone..........:eek: Well, take another guess, it doesn't, been doing this much longer than most myself as well. So if you don't have anything constructive to add, why don't you keep your worthless comments to yourself.

Back