Best way to bridge jumbo frame GigE network with regular network?

valve1138

[H]F Junkie
Whats the most practical way to do this? I'd like to pick up a 16 port GigE switch that supports Jumbo frames like the Dell 2716. But I still have many 100 Mbps devices that I need to connect as well.

I suppose one way is to take a Windows XP box with two nics, one GigE with JF on and one on the 100Mbps half and bridge them.

Is there a better way? Something more practical?

From what I've read, a router can fragment any jumbo packet that is destined for a normal 1500-mtu host. So, create a VLAN for your jumbo-using servers, and you should be good.

If you are thinking of using a Windows XP machine to do this, then I'd wager that you don't have a router that supports VLANs, but the Windows box should be able to do it if you set it up properly.

Fint said:
From what I've read, a router can fragment any jumbo packet that is destined for a normal 1500-mtu host. So, create a VLAN for your jumbo-using servers, and you should be good.

If you are thinking of using a Windows XP machine to do this, then I'd wager that you don't have a router that supports VLANs, but the Windows box should be able to do it if you set it up properly.

That switch does support vlans but vlans just segment the ports on the switch, they do not provide any kind of routing service. So even with vlans setup a routing device or a windows xp machine with multiple network cards would still be required.

I did exactly this on my home network. I put together a old box with 2 nics and installed Windows XP and configured the NIC settings and bridged them. It works like a charm. Great use for an older machine.

BuGaLoU said:
I did exactly this on my home network. I put together a old box with 2 nics and installed Windows XP and configured the NIC settings and bridged them. It works like a charm. Great use for an older machine.

Ahhh, cool beans.

For the cost of a cheap GigE NIC I was thinking this might be the way to go. Unless someone had a better idea.

I even have a 2U rack case I can toss the setup in and throw in my rack.

Too bad the cheap Netgear hotdeal's forum GigE switches I bought do't support Jumbo's. I'll have to use those over at my parents house or FL condo.

Back