Best video capture program for desktop capture?

qbert3

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I use windows media encoder to capture stuff, but I need something that has hotkeys and can hide in the background like FRAPS (system icon is ok, just dont want to see it on the taskbar).

I want to be able to capture the entire desktop in good quality.

Money isnt much of an issue unless it's like $100+

Note: if there was a thread on this before, I cant find it. Also, i've tried out the screen capture in virtual dub, still a bit buggy.

Have you tried Hypercam v2? I've used that before with very good results quality is good, but it could be a little better (I didn't really tweak any settings tho), but you can at least give it a try before registering it and see how you like it.

Just tried it, nifty but I cant get the frame rate to keep up. when I play back my video it's very choppy, even tried tweaking a lot of settings.

Thanks though, still lookin.

snag it wasnt that bad so far. I just cant get it to stop making this annoying blinking window around the area im capturing. Maybe the full version doesnt have this, but I dont see it as an option to toggle.

so far windows media encoder is still the best in terms of options, it just doesnt hide itself or have hotkeys.

Cant FRAPS capture the desktop now? (I think it may be Vista only, since the desktop is "3d" in Vista. Can anyone confirm?)

Vista + fraps didnt work for me. Even tried to trick it by going into the windows key+tab and then hitting the capture hotkey, oh well.

Tried out "My screen recorder" it has options to capture @ 30FPS, but when I play back the video, it's very choppy. I'm using a pretty high spec machine from work, so hardware shouldnt be a problem.

Still lookin.

Back