Best Torrent Client?

I still use Azureus. Works like a charm, but I'll have to try out some of these suggestions.

uTorrent is the only one I've ever used. Why would I try Azureus or anything else when uTorrent is awesome and does everything I need?

utorrent is great. if only other programs had as small of a footprint as it has.

1.6.1 may be the best for you, but once you get on some private trackers, you'll find that any but the latest versions are banned.

Im using the old Azureus 2.5.x but with all the recs for uTorrent I might have to give it a try.

Well i looked at uTorrent for a little bit and it seems more streamlined. Might have to jump ship from Azureus...

Seems uTurrent is a little slower for me for some reason which sucks since it takes up so much less memory compared to Azureus. Im sure theres some setting I should be changing but its just so much hassle...

Well i looked at uTorrent for a little bit and it seems more streamlined. Might have to jump ship from Azureus...

Seems uTurrent is a little slower for me for some reason which sucks since it takes up so much less memory compared to Azureus. Im sure theres some setting I should be changing but its just so much hassle...

The advanced config for uTorrent is quite comprehensive.
You can speed up the rate that it makes new connections, increase the max number of half open connections it can use at any one time, change the length of time an inactive client maintains a connection with you, change the max number of connections per torrent and overall for uTorrent etc etc.
Its worth reading up on.

If you enable DHT and Peer exchange, you will connect to more clients faster but to fully make use, you need to tweak the above as well.
If on XP you will need to increase the number of half open connections available in XP otherwise you might not be able to browse the web.
Also limit the upload speed to about 75% of the max while downloading, otherwise a better torrent client might actually seem worse if it connects to clients faster and you upload more.
If you dont limit the upload speed and the uplink saturates, it can bring your download speed to its knees.

I really like the minimal nature of uTorrent but I gotta go back to Azureus. On some torrents it sees seeds that uTorrent doesnt and is also a little faster.

I just tried uTorrent for the first time and its very nice.

I've been using Bitcomet for the past couple years.

I alternate between Transmission and Azureus. uTorrent isn't available on the Mac, so I haven't tried that.

Okay I lied. I went back to Azureus but then it updated itself to that Vuze thing so Im giving uTorrent 177 a shot now.

QFT. Best/latest version before uTorrent sold out to BitTorrent.com.

That's not even true.

1.6 was the last version. 1.6.1 was released AFTER the acquisition by BitTorrent Inc

uTorrent paranoia is so ridiculous

Okay I lied. I went back to Azureus but then it updated itself to that Vuze thing so Im giving uTorrent 177 a shot now.

That's why I prefer version 2.5.0.4. It's the latest before they added that that Vuze trash.

Looks like a lot of recommendations for uTorrent, so I might check that out sometime. Then again, I don't torrent alot so I might not see much benefit from the smaller memory footprint.

I agree that Azureus' update to Vuze was utter garbage...I hate it. However, I still use Azureus (in the Advacned view, of course) because it offers me the customization and power-user options that my light-weight choice (Transmission) doesn't have all of. I need those because of my current situation which involves throttling and the like. I could downgrade to classic Azureus but meh... :p

Transmission or Deluge if you are a linux user or Deluge if you are still using windows

I've used bitcomet for years, but just started using the built in bittorent client support in the Opera web browser. The default settings work very well; but it's easy to change the upload restrictions, etc. My download/upload rates with the Opera support are faster than Bitcomet. I didn't know anything about the Opera support until recently going to Bitcomet, selecting a torrent from the PB, and having the movie transfered by the Opera browser. It took me a while to figure out what was happening; and see that it was very cool:)

Hmm. I started with Bit-Tornado, God we've come a long way since that one little window with the yellow and green dots.
Azureus was next for me, but it seemed quite resource heavy.
I've been a uTorrent user for a long time now, but I've heard it is more vulnerable that Azureus. For example adding ipfilters etc.

I know its Vuze now, buy I may still check it out.

Ive always used Azureus, it seems fine except that I have no means for comparison. I am not a fan, however, of the new 'Vuse' version. It seems to me that it just adds unneccessary stuff that makes the program run a whole bunch slower.

Back