Best Sub under $150?

Fir3hawk

n00b
So I'm piecing together a 5.1 system and I believe next up should be the sub.

Reciever:
YAMAHA RX-V373BL

Fronts:
Polk Audio Monitor 60

I was looking at Polk Audio CS1 Series II for a center, not sure on rears. I have some old Sony SS-MF315 floorspeakers (6 1/2" HOP Woofer, 3" Hi-Polymer Coated Cone Midrange, a 3/4" Tweeter) that I can use for a while if need. Maybe Polk Monitor 40 bookshelves?

Anyways, I just have the fronts and receiver right now. Trying to keep the budget cheap because I have WAY too many hobbies. I have about $375 in the system so far and I'd like to get it finished up for around $300 or less if possible. Don't want to cheap out and get crap though if I can get something substancially better for $50 more. :p

Completely stumped on what to look for in a sub!
Was looking at the 10" Polk, but I'm sure there are better options out there. Any suggestions? I listen to country music, a little rap, but obviously the sub would be more for watching action movies such as Die Hard. :D

When it comes down to it I recommend you to save for a better sub but if that's not possible you should at least spend $200 for a serviceable subwoofer. Dayton subs for the price are decent but I don't believe they are a good investment long term.

Here are some decent options for around $200:
BIC F12 - $198, a subwoofer that brings the thunder for movies however I've heard it's also not a good option for music because of it's boominess.

Lava LSP10 - $245(maybe less if you are a AVSForum/Home Theater Forum member and contact them for a discount). Less boomier than the F12 and I believe it goes deeper as well. In case something goes wrong Lava's customer service is also fairly decent.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would agree to save a tad bit more and you have some much better options. I love the BIC F-12 but I would also suggest looking that the Polk PSW505.

Also, I would avoid that Dayton like the plague. My last sub was a Dayton and it had an internal grounding issue I could never track down. However, it, and every other Dayton I've listened to has had very boomy and flatulent bass. They aren't in the least bit tight. When you can spend a tad bit more for something 100 times better, the Dayton doesn't make any sense.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back