Best spyware removal tool?

Gawd
The age old someone else was using my computer for a week and now I'm getting random popups has occured to me.

I've got ad-aware on this system, and it seems completely useless. I've ran the full scan multiple times--after rebooting, and it keeps finding the same crap over and over. Anything better then ad-aware? I also ran housecalls free online virus scan and it found nothing.

Please help!

Thanks!

Crap. Ran the first two without issues. Ran the quick scan of the 3rd one. It found 4 objects. Removed then rebooted as instructed. Now I can't boot up. No go in safe mode no go with last known good config. Get the windows loading screen thingy. (windows 7) then a black screen and computer reboots. Shit

Click "Repair your computer" from your Win7 install disc or thumb drive...malware probably screwed up something with your MBR on it's way out. :)

I don't recommend running Combo Fix unless you know there's something it can fix. CF can screw up your PC so I don't use it.

Since most malware is installed to your personal folder, creating a second user account to work from can help. This also is useful for malware which blocks installations/applications from running because the malware at first usually does not effect the new account. Checking the personal folder from a second account also makes it very easy to delete some scareware apps because they are not running in memory. Many times they are location in Application Data for either the All Users or your user account (on XP) or in ProgramFiles in Vista/7. Also check the Appdata in Vista/7. There will be 3 folders for appdata. The malware is often a randomly named .exe file. Rememeber to enable view hidden and OS files!

Programs like MalwareBytes work best being ran when the malware is active, but this can't always be done. Running it from the second account is a plan B.

Many (most) malware utilities also miss rootkits which can cause redirection and other issues. I recommend running a dedicated rootkit scanner (like TDSS Killer). It only takes a few seconds to scan.

Also use an application like CCleaner to clear your temp folders since a lot of malware unpacks or is stored there. CCLeaner also has an option to check the registry startup options so you can easily delete the entries causing malware to start up with the PC.

Check Internet connections for proxy being enabled. Some malware will enable proxy settings. Once you've cleaned the malware your browser may not work because the hole it was being proxyed through has been closed.

If Internet still doesn't work, run an LSP fix which checks the status of your TCP/IP stack. Some malware inserts itself there and once you remove it, the layered chain is broke causing the Internet to not function for no apparent reason.

If windows repair does not get you back online and you run out of option please notify us in this thread.

Back