Best solution for Playstation 3?

Trek234

n00b
Hi all,

I am by no means a video expert. I do not have a TV nor do I want one. (I know, I don't watch TV I must be strange) But I do enjoy my playstation 2 which I currently have connected to my PCI TV card displayed on my 19" Viewera LCD. It looks horrible, but I manage.

I am going to purchase a PS3 in the next month or so, and I've decided for that much I might as well have a display that makes use of it.

So I have been reading constantly on the net including these forums and have decided an HDMI LCD combined with optical sound in to my X-fi card would be the easiest option for me.

Right now I want to spend around no more than $350 on an LCD. From the reading I have done it sounds like BenQ and some others will be releasing HDMI LCDs at lower cost in the near future. One particular one that interests me is the BenQ FP93GX 19" Widescreen LCD . It should fall well in to my price range.

My question is this - would the FP93GX be the best HDMI LCD in my price range? I know the 19" is kind of small. Would it be a big drawback if I was using the PS3 at 1080P? Would maybe spending a little more for 22" be worth it? I have read about the upcoming FP222WH but not sure what the price will be online for it.

I know the PS3 has not been out long and many people have probably not used it on an HDMI PC LCD, but any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Taking advantage of PS3's 1920x1080 resolution requires 23" LCD or larger. 20-22" are "only" 1680x1050.

save more and then when the prices on the westinghouse 37w3's go down. buy one :)

You seriously need to look at this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111713

I just got this monitor today for my PC and PS3 and its incredible.

Its the only 22" monitor out there that has HDMI input and its perfect for the PS3. It has a 16:9 mode on the HDMI input and it will scale all the way to 1080p. 1080p looks incredible on the monitor. I posted some pics in that thread. I've also got some more pics I need to post of the Superman Returns blu-ray disc running on that monitor. The monitor is also only $299 at costco after costco member rebate.

I'm sorry I just realized I was looking at the wrong model number. I meant FP94VW not FP93GX.

Also - bill0527 - does your Sceptre monitor that you write about work perfectly ok on a PS3 at 1080p? I keep reading user reviews saying it has occasional artifacts and other strange distortion at 1080p on a PS3.

I think it can only accept a 1080p signal. The monitor probably only capable of displaying a 1080p source but not at 1080p.
1680 x 1050 is not 1080p
1920 x 1080 is 1080p
1920 x 1200 can display 1080p, either stretched slightly or has black bars.

A dell 2407 would output at 1080p... Which would be in your price range if you got it for the current sale... And an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3, and VGA connection.

Or you could get a different 24" monitor at 1080p.

Really, theirs no good reason to buy a PS3 at the moment. That could definately change in the future, but hell, theirs no real reason to buy a Wii either, other then to play Zelda and then play multiplayer games with friends. Xbox 360 is the true hardcore gaming platform at the moment.

A dell 2407 would output at 1080p... Which would be in your price range if you got it for the current sale... And an Xbox 360 instead of a PS3, and VGA connection.

Or you could get a different 24" monitor at 1080p.

Really, theirs no good reason to buy a PS3 at the moment. That could definately change in the future, but hell, theirs no real reason to buy a Wii either, other then to play Zelda and then play multiplayer games with friends. Xbox 360 is the true hardcore gaming platform at the moment.

All of that was not required to answer the question. Please save your opinions on the different consoles for the appropriate board.

Back on topic: I broke down and am about to order the sceptre 22" as a temporary solution. I was waiting on the 1:1 fix for the BenQ but I have movies to watch and games to play. I'll see about upgrading to a true 1080p solution a few months down the road. The sceptre is going for around $350 on newegg last I checked.

That monitor does look pretty nice, with the exception of the 3 or 4 stuck bright green pixels on it. ouch

You seriously need to look at this thread.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1111713

I just got this monitor today for my PC and PS3 and its incredible.

Its the only 22" monitor out there that has HDMI input and its perfect for the PS3. It has a 16:9 mode on the HDMI input and it will scale all the way to 1080p. 1080p looks incredible on the monitor. I posted some pics in that thread. I've also got some more pics I need to post of the Superman Returns blu-ray disc running on that monitor. The monitor is also only $299 at costco after costco member rebate.

Does PS3 have a native VGA connectivity option at all? Or is it limited to DVI/HDMI and component? I checked out playstation.com but could not find any useful info on this.

That monitor does look pretty nice, with the exception of the 3 or 4 stuck bright green pixels on it. ouch

Not sure what pictures you're looking at but there are no stuck pixels at all on my monitor.

And the 22" sceptre will do 1080p but it is a scaling solution and not native 1080p, but expecting a 1080p native solution on a $300 monitor is laughable.

it is HDCP compatible connection only. I do not think component connections support this, as it is technically a analog conenction. DVI and HDMI are digital signal source, pathway, and destination capable interfaces, and as such, therby support the requirements of the HDCP specification. Blue-Ray uses HDCP to ensure digital content generation, encoding, and delivery to compatible display devices, from compatible sources.

Does PS3 have a native VGA connectivity option at all? Or is it limited to DVI/HDMI and component? I checked out playstation.com but could not find any useful info on this.

No it does not have a native VGA connection. Just the DVI/HDMI, component, and composite are your solutions.

Back