Best software to create animated gifs?

gramarye

Gawd
I normally use the Adobe ImageReady after editing the original images in photoshop. After selecting the save optimized as option, the end result could look quite hideous. I was wondering if there are any software/programs that are considered "better" than ImageReady, or might have a better end result. If gifs are gifs, and the end result would be the same, I'd understand.

Hopefully, animated PNGs would happen one day. Thanks for your time.

I have only really heard of people using ImageReady, but I must admit that I don't make animated GIFs. My friend does though, but again, only in ImageReady. You might want to try The GIMP (seriously, the name and site address are horrible), but I don't think you will get much better results.

gramarye said:
Hopefully, animated PNGs would happen one day. Thanks for your time.

They do exist. MNGs and APNGs are formats derived from PNGs to support animation. However, the biggest problem facing them is a lack of support from software. Firefox and Konqueror support MNGs, but IE does not.

However, you can also animate SVGs (scalable vector graphics), and most browsers support those either natively or via a plugin (like IE).

I have only really heard of people using ImageReady, but I must admit that I don't make animated GIFs. My friend does though, but again, only in ImageReady. You might want to try The GIMP (seriously, the name and site address are horrible), but I don't think you will get much better results.

They do exist. MNGs and APNGs are formats derived from PNGs to support animation. However, the biggest problem facing them is a lack of support from software. Firefox and Konqueror support MNGs, but IE does not.

However, you can also animate SVGs (scalable vector graphics), and most browsers support those either natively or via a plugin (like IE).

Thanks so much for the reply, I'll look into those. I also heard fireworks works quite well, i guess we'll see.

i have tried GIF construction set professional, which is very nice program with all its nice plugins. Link you can download and try it. :)

i have tried GIF construction set professional, which is very nice program with all its nice plugins. Link you can download and try it. :)

That looks pretty sweet. $25 bucks to start out with what seems to be a pretty darn good program.

BillLeeLee, that was a pretty comprehensive reply, I appreciate it. I did a lookup on MNG and APNG, doesn't seem like Adobe Photoshop supports this format? or maybe not yet? I believe I've seen SVG an option before, are you familiar with Photoshop and working with these formats you mentioned?

And certainly for the other softwares, I might just give it a try when I have the time. I believe I've heard of GIMP, something so amazing that is free, I would definitely help donate and support this project. I'm quite used to using Photoshop already, so preferably, I'd like to have all the accessibility and edit ability all in one program, it may just seem more conveneient and somewhat organized that way. Although keeping things separate can be a bit more organized at times, as well.

BillLeeLee, that was a pretty comprehensive reply, I appreciate it. I did a lookup on MNG and APNG, doesn't seem like Adobe Photoshop supports this format? or maybe not yet? I believe I've seen SVG an option before, are you familiar with Photoshop and working with these formats you mentioned?

Unfortunately, Adobe Photoshop does not support MNG or APNG yet. The GIMP does. See what I mean from lack of support from the major commercial software? Still though, MNG and APNG are getting competition from SVG.

As for SVG - Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape support creating them. And Inkscape is free too! And probably more intuitive in its interface than the GIMP is. :p

Unfortunately, Adobe Photoshop does not support MNG or APNG yet. The GIMP does. See what I mean from lack of support from the major commercial software? Still though, MNG and APNG are getting competition from SVG.

As for SVG - Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape support creating them. And Inkscape is free too! And probably more intuitive in its interface than the GIMP is. :p

Thanks again! As for SVG, is it compatible with Firefox, IE, Safari, perhaps Opera even? Ironically enough, I found more results or better luck with search with MNG and APNG.

Thanks again! As for SVG, is it compatible with Firefox, IE, Safari, perhaps Opera even? Ironically enough, I found more results or better luck with search with MNG and APNG.

Firefox - supports some of SVG 1.1 standard since 1.5, better support in 2.0. Even better support in Firefox 3.0.
Opera - probably has the best support for the SVG 1.1 standard of all widely used browsers.
Safari - Supported in current versions (based on the plugin for Konqueror)
Internet Explorer - supported if you have an external plug-in like Adobe SVG Viewer

Fore more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVG#Support_in_applications

I like ulead gif animator v5. It's very easy to use and has good results.

this is old, but also very effective.

Back