Best route to wireless

M

mfm

For the last 3 years our network has consisted of 2 PCs, cable internet service, a Linksys 8-port switch, and a Linksys BEFSR11 (1-port cable/DSL router). The 8-port switch was available at the time I needed a cable/DSL router, so I opted for the 1-port version (3 years ago, the price difference was $90/1-port vs. $160/5-port). This setup has worked quite well for us.

Anyway, we about to add a 3rd PC to the network, but it will be located in a room where it works best to go wireless. In addition, we will be purchasing a laptop later this year, which will also have wireless capability. Lastly, one of the older PCs just replaced will be rebuilt under LINUX (4th PC), where I plan to use it as a file and print server (and to learn LINUX!:)).

It would seem that I have one of two options (and I am open to any other suggestions you might have). The first option would be to add a wireless access point and connect it to the 8-port switch. That would leave the current network untouched while adding the wireless capability.

The second option would be to replace both the 8-port switch and 1-port cable/DSL router with a 4-port cable/DSL wireless router. That would simplify the network at roughly the same cost (maybe even lower) as the wireless access point. I question whether a wireless router is more stable than the fixed 1-port router we have been using.

Any comments or suggestions?

Your second option sounds like the best option if the costs are about the same. With 3 PCs, you should be fine using a 4 port wireless router, so long as you don't think that you will need anything more than 4 wired ports in the forseeable future.

Keep a lookout on the [H]ot Deals forum and other sites for deals on 802.11G routers - I have seen quite a few of them being sold for less than $50. And if you go with 802.11B, the cost should be even lower. Good luck!

Originally posted by CypressTree
Your second option sounds like the best option if the costs are about the same. With 3 PCs, you should be fine using a 4 port wireless router, so long as you don't think that you will need anything more than 4 wired ports in the forseeable future.

Keep a lookout on the [H]ot Deals forum and other sites for deals on 802.11G routers - I have seen quite a few of them being sold for less than $50. And if you go with 802.11B, the cost should be even lower. Good luck!
I decided this morning to go with a single, wireless 4-port router, so it was good to see that someone else thought that was the better option.:)

That means my network will have one device (wireless router) instead of three (1-port router, switch, wireless bridge). If for some reason the 4 ports aren't enough in the future, I could always use the 8-port switch in combination with the router.

Thanks for the tip about the [H]ot Deals forum. I have been registered for about 4 months and hadn't noticed it.

Back