best resistor color thing EVER

ok, this is real good and simple than anything else.

it's this real simple color wheel thing, they have it at radio shack but i couldn't findit on the site. this thing has 3 wheels that you turn to pick the color and it show the resistance. It's about 2 inches by 4 inches.

this thing is so simple that the one i've seen at radioshck last week is the same as my fathers , that I USE. if some has a pic please post it.

THIS THING ROCKS

He's probably talking about some kind of circular slide rule to figure out resistor values.

Some resistors are labelled clearly w/ numbers, but most still follow the resistor color code, a series of colored bands that work out to a certain ohmage.

Why this belongs in "case modding" rather than "electronics," I know not.

first off there is NO "electronics" section.
second it is a slide rule like thing
third it is non electronic, very simple, very cheap
fouth i use it when i make my mods
fith give me a break

the electronics section is a sub category of the case modding section - the link to that section is the line just above the "new thread" button at the top of the thread list screen
electronics subforum

I'm not sure what your getting at, perhaps you could post some pics of what you've done?

Sounds like a nice tool, as I've completely forgotten the color codes for resistors.

dude i didn't make it i bught it, well my father did,

i couldn't find a pic of the radio shack one but i found a pic of one similar to theirs
ohm_card_front.jpg

Wow, that looks old. Older than this one on ebay that is listed as a antique.
link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
By the way, you all know the "violet gives willingly" thingy don’t you?
0 Black
1 Brown
2 Red
3 Orange
4 Yellow
5 Green
6 Blue
7 Violet
8 Grey
9 White

0 Bad
1 Boys
2 Rape
3 Our
4 Young
5 Girls
6 But
7 Violet
8 Gives
9 Willingly

delbert said:
By the way, you all know the "violet gives willingly" thingy don’t you?
0 Black
1 Brown
2 Red
3 Orange
4 Yellow
5 Green
6 Blue
7 Violet
8 Grey
9 White

0 Bad
1 Boys
2 Rape
3 Our
4 Young
5 Girls
6 But
7 Violet
8 Gives
9 Willingly

Damn, and I thought I was the only one who learned that one :)

lol... i've been taught both of those at school :p

of course... our professor waited for our one female student to leave the room before he mentioned the bad boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly one... actually, two of our professors mentioned this one.

the first professor was later fired for telling a chick she could earn her grade on her knee's :eek:

the other professor is the last guy in the world we thought we'd hear that from... lol

I've been working on electronincs for 18 Yrs now... (ack... I'm getting old)

addition to bbroygbvgw,

more multipiers, tho these do not fit in with the mneumonic

Gold = 0.1
Silver 0.01

and tolerance, the fourth band
Get (gold) +/-5%
Some (silver) +/-10%
Now (none) +/-20%

I have always known the ten by heart and my feeling is that they're so easy to memorize without even trying that if you don't know them you probably should not be working on anything quite yet. In any case, I have seen little cards and graphics with the ten colors and their values. You can have one in view as a reminder while you work. If you need a slide wheel gizmo you *really* should consider whether you should be messing in electronics at all.

:rolleyes:

sailor said:
I have always known the ten by heart and my feeling is that they're so easy to memorize without even trying that if you don't know them you probably should not be working on anything quite yet. In any case, I have seen little cards and graphics with the ten colors and their values. You can have one in view as a reminder while you work. If you need a slide wheel gizmo you *really* should consider whether you should be messing in electronics at all.

:rolleyes:
All bow to sailor, who's vast, insurmountable memory astounds and mystifies us all!

Seriously, has everyone thrown away thier calculators, because we learned math in high school, or stopped using our computers for word processing because you were taught how to write?

I've been involved with electronics for a good few years now, but I've never found it necesary to memorize the resistor color code. It's for the same reason that many teachers let you bring a 3"x5" card with notes to a test, or provide you with a sheet of constants and basic equations, because there is a lot of stuff you really don't need to memorize, especially when it can be looked up in about 2 seconds.

Because of experience I can recognize some values I use more frequently (like 100, 1k, 10k, etc), and I can probably figure out most resistors without a memory aid with sufficient effort, but why bother when I can take a moment to look it up before I go getting resistors out of my parts bin.

No offense was meant. My point is simply that a card with the ten colors and their values or a card like this is more than sufficient for a beginner and after you have spent any time working with resistors you will learn the values without any effort. I mean, can you work with ten people for a few days and not remember their names?

True enough, but a hobbyist like me doesn't actually prototype or assemble a project more than once a month (usually less), so it's hard to memorize the colors without repetition.

sailor, depends on whether or not i try to remember there names ;) (i'm really bad with names anyways... if you ask me my grandma's name, i'll have to think about it before i remember what it is... :rolleyes: )

resistors have never been a problem though, those damn capacitors got me for the longest time though... i finally just memorized a few values (102,104) and work from there now...

Back