Best quiet case

shaden79

n00b
what is the best case available when it comes to good airflow and utter silence. preferably under 200 dollars and a slick clean look i.e. no side windows. i am just tired of the jet engine that currently sits below my desk

thanks in advance,

Shaden79

Antec P180/P182. No question. Replace the included TriCool fans (they're trash) with Yate Loons or Scythes and you're golden. Wait a week or two and shop around, you can probably get it for under $100 after rebate... or failing that, buy one used off someone.

Any case... its not the case, its the components you use!

IF you run a remote water cooling setup with a passive radiator, and maybe even a water cooled PSU, your computer's only noise will be the pump... and if you use a good pump like an eheim, you wont even hear that.

I wouldn't say the Tri-Cools are trash. On low speed they are very quiet and push a decent amount of air. Plus, they come with the case so you aren't shelling out another 20-30 dollars for Scythe fans.

I wouldn't say the Tri-Cools are trash. On low speed they are very quiet and push a decent amount of air. Plus, they come with the case so you aren't shelling out another 20-30 dollars for Scythe fans.

The Tri-cools worked well for me at the low setting, but they have a tendency to stall if mounted horizontally (say, the upper 120mm in a P180/182)

2nd that P182, very quiet with Scythe fans..
I have a P180 with Scythe SFF21Fs, and I wouldn't call it quiet (28dBA). I've recently invested in some rubber fan screws and a fanspeed controller to reduce some of the fan noise when not gaming.

The occasional Fry's deal has had them for $50 AR and free shipping.

I just ordered my P182....got a few Scythe fans just to play around, but they're more for "extra" than replacement.

I decided on this one because I hear it's super quiet and I like how it looks. I got the chance to play around with one at my local J&R, and those side panels feel rock solid...doesn't surprise me that it's a quiet case.

Very happy with my P180. Looking to get another when it goes on sale at Fry's.

Anyone has any experience or opinion on the Antec Mini P180?

I am still using an Opteron 185 on a cheapo S939 board at home, now with a single 9600 GT (passive cooled), and a couple velociraptors. Those are currently in an Antec Ninehundred, but I am looking for a more compact case without a side window.

The Antec Mini P180 is only 2" shorter, and while it certainly has been reviewed as being quiet, it may still be too big. My ideal case is like 11" x 8" x 13" or so ...

If I could passively cool a decent gfx card in an SSF, then I'd move to that.

The P180 Mini is stupid huge for a mATX case, and very expensive on top of that.

I've never understood why so many companies think that a case that's generally less complex (admittedly not in this case, but at least no more complex) and uses less material can/should be priced higher than a full tower.

Anyone has any experience or opinion on the Antec Mini P180?

I am still using an Opteron 185 on a cheapo S939 board at home, now with a single 9600 GT (passive cooled), and a couple velociraptors. Those are currently in an Antec Ninehundred, but I am looking for a more compact case without a side window.

The Antec Mini P180 is only 2" shorter, and while it certainly has been reviewed as being quiet, it may still be too big. My ideal case is like 11" x 8" x 13" or so ...

If I could passively cool a decent gfx card in an SSF, then I'd move to that.
NZXT Rogue.

Any case... its not the case, its the components you use!
Wrong, total is as good as weakest link.
Any normal case with hard HDD mounting will make some noise.
And if case is just open frame with direct noise escape paths everywhere, like those often recommended, then you're going to hear even slightest noises easily unless you position case far away.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article75-page1.html

And neither you can make noisy PC quiet by adding sound "insulation": 1. case has to have some holes for cooling airflow and those leak noise out. 2. There's not enough volume for enough damping/absorbtion material to lower noise volume much.

I have a P180 with Scythe SFF21Fs, and I wouldn't call it quiet (28dBA).
What else can you expect from high speed fan?

Back