Best Power Supply for $40-50?

RobDMB

Weaksauce
I'm building a new budget pc for a family member and would like to find a decent quality power supply that will be reliable for around 40-50 dollars max. Any suggestions? The system will be based of a Geforce 6150 board, 1 harddrive, dvd drive, x2 3800+ processor. I would like the supply to have enough power to handle a graphics card if they want to upgrade (wouldnt need to be sli ready or anythign though). Thanks, Rob

Maybe an Antec SmartPower 400w would be ok.. Just a quick search on newegg shows it at about $55. I always like to spend a little more on a psu, even with a budget rig. If you get into the $70-$80 range, you can pick up some really nice PSUs. I'll let some more people recommend a few, because I normally don't buy in a low price range for PSU's. The times that I did, I never had any luck because they either crapped out or didn't power a system enough.

xclio is a great brand.

I really like my unit and you'll have a REAL hard time finding a single negative review about their units.

Masscool nextherm 460 :)

It's a bit more than that though. Not significantly, but enough that it's totally worth buying over an xclio or fortron AX.

I did a bit of research for this last month... I'd basically settled between the xclio or Fortron. They're both around $50 shipped and are in the recommended list here.

You could also try the Ultra X-Finity 500W. Sli certified, but some people on here don't like Ultras. For $10 after rebate shipped it sounds like a steal to me.

RobDMB said:
I'm building a new budget pc for a family member and would like to find a decent quality power supply that will be reliable for around 40-50 dollars max. Any suggestions? The system will be based of a Geforce 6150 board, 1 harddrive, dvd drive, x2 3800+ processor. I would like the supply to have enough power to handle a graphics card if they want to upgrade (wouldnt need to be sli ready or anythign though). Thanks, Rob
Either of these carry excellent reviews and [H] seal of approval
Xclio 450 dual 12v or FSP 400w also dual 12v's
Either has right around 30amps on the 12v which will be adequate for your system even if you were to add a single high end gfx card like a 7900gt

IanG said:
I did a bit of research for this last month... I'd basically settled between the xclio or Fortron. They're both around $50 shipped and are in the recommended list here.

You could also try the Ultra X-Finity 500W. Sli certified, but some people on here don't like Ultras. For $10 after rebate shipped it sounds like a steal to me.
Doh you must type faster :p
Great minds think alike ;)

IanG said:

I have the Ultra Xfinity 500w and I can understand why some people would be wary...after all why are they practically giving them away? But to "not like them" is kinda irrational...I mean how can you not like the awesome flexforce cables and the quiet fan? Of course I have mine on a secondary rig and a OCZ gameXstream 600w powering my 7900GT SLI machine but the fact that the Ultra is SLI certified (for what that's worth) makes me believe it will be just fine powering a 3200+, single 6800GT and single harddrive. ;)

yea.. just be careful of the Ultra's.. some people have great luck with them (more so the x-finity version), but people like me had nothing but trouble. My Ultra X-connect crapped out, and so did my X-finity. I purchased them because of the awesome modular cables and because they were so cheap. The X-connect totally burned out with the whole burn capacitor smell, and the X-finity died a "silent" death, with the 12v rails not supplying enough power all of a sudden. I'm lucky I didn't lose any hardware, because some people have.

Between the xclio and the fortron is there anything that would tip the scale toward one over the other?

RobDMB said:
Between the xclio and the fortron is there anything that would tip the scale toward one over the other?
The fortron is slightly cheaper, which may count if you're on a budget. It's 400w compared with the xclio's 450w, but for a box with onboard video that shouldn't be an issue.

Having said that, the xclio looks nicer in black rather than the bare metal look.

Back