Best Netflix solution on HTPC?

whrswoldo

2[H]4U
My trusty XBOX 360 finally RROD'd and I am trying to see if I can go without it and use my HTPC for Netflix duties instead. So far, I have not been very impressed :(

I could not get Netflix to work through Boxee and after scouring the Boxee forums it looks like it's not currently supported (only on Boxee box).

I am currently using WMC which works OK although there are a few annoyances I have found compared to the 360 Netflix version:

1. The quality seems to be lower. Maybe this is just my imagination but shows seem much more pixilated

2. When watching a series, the app does not seem to remember where I left off. For example, right now I am watching Top Gear and am somewhere in the middle of season 10. If I boot up the computer and launch Netflix, I have to move to recently watched, select the show, then scroll through all of the prior episodes starting at the first one to get to the one I haven't seen yet. On the 360, Netflix would remember the last episode I watched and ask me if I want to see the next one. I can watch what I want eventually of course but it seems like there must be an easier way.

3. When browsing for new shows or movies to watch, the selection list is much shorter than on 360 app. Obviously I can search for a program but this is not easy on a remote like it is on the 360 and I don't always know what I want to watch.

I haven't tried XBMC yet but honestly don't want to waste hours setting it up only to find it is equally dull. Anyone have any suggestions?

My trusty XBOX 360 finally RROD'd and I am trying to see if I can go without it and use my HTPC for Netflix duties instead. So far, I have not been very impressed :(

I could not get Netflix to work through Boxee and after scouring the Boxee forums it looks like it's not currently supported (only on Boxee box).

I am currently using WMC which works OK although there are a few annoyances I have found compared to the 360 Netflix version:

1. The quality seems to be lower. Maybe this is just my imagination but shows seem much more pixilated

2. When watching a series, the app does not seem to remember where I left off. For example, right now I am watching Top Gear and am somewhere in the middle of season 10. If I boot up the computer and launch Netflix, I have to move to recently watched, select the show, then scroll through all of the prior episodes starting at the first one to get to the one I haven't seen yet. On the 360, Netflix would remember the last episode I watched and ask me if I want to see the next one. I can watch what I want eventually of course but it seems like there must be an easier way.

3. When browsing for new shows or movies to watch, the selection list is much shorter than on 360 app. Obviously I can search for a program but this is not easy on a remote like it is on the 360 and I don't always know what I want to watch.

I haven't tried XBMC yet but honestly don't want to waste hours setting it up only to find it is equally dull. Anyone have any suggestions?

If Windows is your OS then I would give XBMC a try with the Netflix (XBMCFlicks) plug in.

Slight threadjack....
has anyone compared PQ of the gamut of Netflix viewers? At the very least Windows/Silverlight vs. one of the appliance Linux based versions (Roku or TivoHD for instance) would be useful.

If Windows is your OS then I would give XBMC a try with the Netflix (XBMCFlicks) plug in.

I wouldn't. XBMC's Netflix integration is pretty horrible in its current state, especially compared to WMC's. I run XBMC as my primary HTPC software, but still load up WMC when I want to watch something on Netflix.

The quality issue only seems to be for the first few minutes of a show. After that I get higher quality streams.

I've been using the Netflix WMC plugin. It's not as clean / well organized as the 360 version in my opinion, but it does the job and I haven't had any noticeable quality problems as others have mentioned.

I have been using the offical built in WMC plugin without issues. Only issue I have had is with Streaming Weeds the TV show. Very jumpy.

I wouldn't. XBMC's Netflix integration is pretty horrible in its current state, especially compared to WMC's. I run XBMC as my primary HTPC software, but still load up WMC when I want to watch something on Netflix.

The quality issue only seems to be for the first few minutes of a show. After that I get higher quality streams.

Um if the OP has already tried the WMC version why on God's green Earth should he/she not try alternatives that cost him/her nothing? It's not going to destroy the world as we know it if you put out alternatives.

To the OP, definitely let us know what you decide. I wasn't getting too happy with Netflix on the HTPC either. It's one of the reasons why we bought a Apple TV and the new Roku 2, plus the fact I can now watch HD with 5.1 surround sound (1080p from the Roku 2, as well). I may be building another HTPC and definitely the Netflix interface was one of my issues, like you.

To the OP, definitely let us know what you decide. I wasn't getting too happy with Netflix on the HTPC either. It's one of the reasons why we bought a Apple TV and the new Roku 2, plus the fact I can now watch HD with 5.1 surround sound (1080p from the Roku 2, as well). I may be building another HTPC and definitely the Netflix interface was one of my issues, like you.

I just watch this video of Netflix on the Roku. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVKgcv2NKc

Wow, that makes the HTPC Netflix experience look like total crap.

I just watch this video of Netflix on the Roku. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVKgcv2NKc

Wow, that makes the HTPC Netflix experience look like total crap.
Yeah, plus the fact you not allowed to watch many HD content on the PC, due to licensing issues, is another reason why Netflix on PC is lame. Same with Amazon Instant Prime Video, a lot of HD content is only on devices, like the Roku. Plus your limited to only stereo on the PC for both Netflix and Amazon.

As far as interface, the Roku Netflix is nice indeed, but I actually think the Apple TV Netflix interface is a tad bit better, as you can see related movies for the cast members or directors for each movies, as well as similar movies. Not that big of a deal, but nice if you want to browse. The Roku 2 does have 1080p while the Apple TV only does 720p for Netflix. I like both devices.

Does Roku let you stream you Free Amazon Prime VOD?
Yeah. I'm a Amazon Prime member and the Roku lets me watch all the free Amazon Instant Video content. It's the main reason why I bought the Roku (Roku 2). Too bad neither our Apple TV, nor our XBOX 360 has access to Amazon Instant Video (although we can watch paid rentals on the 360).

Back