Best methods of trading valuable items?

DSLisFREE

Limp Gawd
Planning to trade a highly valuable item with another forum member, GTX 1080. I am planning to swap mine (gigabyte) for his (Evga). What are some things I have to do in order to protect myself and the both of us in general? I've never done anything like this before.

User is a long time forum member, have positive heatware feedbacks within the last 6 months. That's all I know.

TIA

Take pictures before shipping (record if you can), insure it, and have them sign at delivery. Increases costs and time but helps cover your bases. The other trader should do the same.

Mod of r/hardwareswap. I get asked that question a lot there.

Over there we advise that you buy each others items through paypal.

Basically you send him 700 and he sends you his card. Then he sends you 700 and you send him your card.

Paypal invoice for each.

Leads to solid paper trails and if you have an established paypal account youll have protection as a buyer and seller both. Paypal has a certain amount of discretionary funds allocated to each seller (specifically as a seller) that are used rather then taking your funds back, (in case of any mishap, god forbid) as long as you follow all the rules for seller protection.

Id assume this method would work well here as well.

Last edited:
Mod of r/hardwareswap. I get asked that question a lot there.

Over there we advise that you buy each others items through paypal.

Basically you send him 700 and he sends you his card. Then he sends you 700 and you send him your card.

Paypal invoice for each.

Leads to solid paper trails and if you have an established paypal account youll have protection as a buyer and seller both. Paypal has a certain amount of discretionary funds allocated to each seller (specifically as a seller) that are used rather then taking your funds back, (in case of any mishap, god forforbias long as you follow all the rules for seller protection.

Id assume this method would work well here as well.

When doing that invoice method, both parties would pay the PP fees then? Assuming this would be a small price for more security

I traded Titans w/ a member here a few years back. We both had good heatware. He was wanting a favor, so he sent me the card first. I sent my card to him after I received his. My personal exp though.

When doing that invoice method, both parties would pay the PP fees then? Assuming this would be a small price for more security

Waste of time and money, seriously. Just don't be a moron. Make sure they have established heatware, if one's isn't high, they send it first, you get it and ship yours within an hour or two of receiving theirs.

knock on wood but i've just done a trade on hardware swap. my itx 1155 board for lg g4 LNIB. smooth trade. no problems.

See if they are established on this forum and/or other forums with the same name/identity. No one who puts that much work into their heatware/identity and tech threads wants to be shamed as an "un-trustable" POS

Waste of time and money, seriously. Just don't be a moron. Make sure they have established heatware, if one's isn't high, they send it first, you get it and ship yours within an hour or two of receiving theirs.

Thats the problem. You don't know who is or isn't the moron... as evidenced literally by the many posts in this very section under Tips, Tricks and Trolls. There have been pleeeenty of high heat "morons" with lack of communication, or just fall off the map, or omg had a car accident / family emergency etc. You can see it all here in tips, tricks, and trolls, and plenty of peeps with high heat.

I got screwed a long time back by a member with around 100 heat, i had 90 then. I shipped first. He never shipped. He scammed a few others too and got banned and disappeared

I'll never see that Alienware M14X again. (4700mq / Nvidia GT 750m, still worth around 300 by today's standards)

You can't stop the moron factor lol even amongst people who know better and have heat.

Depends freakyKAT THAT BRANC AND RESSURE BEU FIBTHE OKT-=====-------------------==================T ON whee is defeted (PAFKAEnWad wth uou hafe/aoartherel
[AO\RPAFUL if yiy are --ara8d -J[jd lstre9j s8r wS REQUIED FROM OSwhere U almost lost mt mone

Depends freakyKAT THAT BRANC AND RESSURE BEU FIBTHE OKT-=====-------------------==================T ON whee is defeted (PAFKAEnWad wth uou hafe/aoartherel
[AO\RPAFUL if yiy are --ara8d -J[jd lstre9j s8r wS REQUIED FROM OSwhere U almost lost mt mone

wtf did i just read

Aneurysm.

Alcohol. In any other case I say cross payment. It'll cost about $30-32 with flat rate shipping and fees but it's better than nothing.

Yes, there are traders with established, good histories who 'go bad;' but those guys are few and far between. Now, I don't care about how much Heat someone has; if I am the seller, I'll take my payment before I ship. I think in all of my deals, I've given an exception to that maybe two or three times only.

Edit: I should add, expecting payment first should not be the attitude of a seller with only a limited history.

Me personally, I would never ship before getting payment to someone with less feedback.

Back