Best methods for cleaning thermal grease?

Go to Xoxide or FrozenCpu and order ArctiClean.....it's a 2 part liquid....cleans the CPU and Heatsink to a super shiny near polished finish......smells like citrus and wont hurt anything. Just make sure the surfaces are dry before putting on new thermal paste.

Cost about 6 bucks I think.

Im a big fan of acohol swabs, you know the ones that look like the towletts you get from restaurants. You can get em at any grocery or pharmacy store, and there dirt cheap, and very effective IMO

I've always used nail polish remover, but to my shock I heard that you can wash the whole thing, like compltely submerging in water, I would never do that. Haha

I'm jealous of all the people that can find 99% isopropyl instead of just 91%. Never seen it in any of the stores here and I've been looking for like nine years.:confused:

I was sending in for rma to amd a fx57 chip. I had silver on some of the pins. Since i was not concerned of the ramifications i washed the fx57 with soap and water and a tooth brush, dried it with a hair dryer. . believe it or not, the same chip was sent back from amd because they could find anything wrong with it after testing. i put it back in may computer and it worked fine. ps: i still would not recommend washing it with soap and water.

magoo said:
Go to Xoxide or FrozenCpu and order ArctiClean.....it's a 2 part liquid....cleans the CPU and Heatsink to a super shiny near polished finish......smells like citrus and wont hurt anything. Just make sure the surfaces are dry before putting on new thermal paste.

Cost about 6 bucks I think.

Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
i wasn't too sure about the stuff when i bought it, but now that i've used it i don't think i'd use anything else. It really works well, and it's very very fast, a few seconds and thermal greese is gone.

SameSuspect said:
when you say thermal grease, do you also mean arctic silver 5

yeah, thermal greese, thermal interface material, whatever you want to call it, articlean works damn well.

so to use this stuff, (acticlean) you simply drop a bit onto a tissue or cloth or whatever, and it should take off the as5 much easier??

in the recent past i used to just get a dry tissue, wrap it round my thinger and wipe the cpu and heatsink that way, and recently iv found my temps to be a little high. maybe because alot of the old stuff. or something from the tissue is causing this??

SameSuspect said:
so to use this stuff, (acticlean) you simply drop a bit onto a tissue or cloth or whatever, and it should take off the as5 much easier??

in the recent past i used to just get a dry tissue, wrap it round my thinger and wipe the cpu and heatsink that way, and recently iv found my temps to be a little high. maybe because alot of the old stuff. or something from the tissue is causing this??

if you are just getting the visible thermal greese off then you really are not getting anything off.

with the articlean you just put a few drops right on the TIM and watch it eat it away, about 30 seconds later you wipe it off, then use stage two of the articlean...well worth the couple dollars you pay, it dissolves thermal paste.

yeah it's really awesome, i had an older proc with some AS5 that had been on there for a good 2 years or so, and this stuff just went right through it, hell i think the IHS looks better than when i got it. I use it on new heatsinks now too, it pulls all the grime off them.

Wow, it seems that the articlean fans have really come out on the issue now. With that many votes, maybe I'll have to give that stuff an order with my next batch of parts. :)

(Perhaps with a conroe chip, if the price is right. :D )

Dalrain said:
Wow, it seems that the articlean fans have really come out on the issue now. With that many votes, maybe I'll have to give that stuff an order with my next batch of parts. :)

(Perhaps with a conroe chip, if the price is right. :D )

You can go to frozencpu and look on the product page for a link......the link lists the instructions for how to use the two part system.

And yes.....it cleans the cpu and hsf interface like new with just a couple drops.

Yeah, that Arcticlean stuff works great. Main active ingredient in stage 1 = Limonene. Which can be bought in pure form by the way.

Similar to my question about alcohol from earlier...will the articlean take care of human grease as well? :D

Back