Best Gaming Headset?

Afterburntdw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2004
Messages
171
Hi,

I'm looking for a new gaming headset. I'm using an X-Fi Xtremegamer card, and I currently have the Saitek GH30 (I think that is the model number - Don't have it here now). The sound is generally pretty good, but when I'm playing BF2142 and there is an orbital strike or a sudden noise, it tends to fuzz. Assuming that money is not a big issue (Ok, I guess something under $100 would be preferable, but not absolutely required), which headset would you recommend?
 
Hi,

I'm looking for a new gaming headset. I'm using an X-Fi Xtremegamer card, and I currently have the Saitek GH30 (I think that is the model number - Don't have it here now). The sound is generally pretty good, but when I'm playing BF2142 and there is an orbital strike or a sudden noise, it tends to fuzz. Assuming that money is not a big issue (Ok, I guess something under $100 would be preferable, but not absolutely required), which headset would you recommend?

Sennheiser HD485s with the zalman mic

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826159412

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836501002

Not going to be able to find better for under $100
 
Anything in a headset form (headphones and mic in one headset)? I'll go more than $100, if need be.
 
General consensus is that if you want great audio quality, just go with the separate 'phones and mic.

But if you really want a headset, then I've seen people using the Icemat (Siberia? was the model I've seen floating around quite a bit). Zalman also makes a headphone+mic I think.

Sennheiser also makes a couple different models of headsets. Here are the links to some I found on newegg, I was contemplating them for a while before I bought separate headphones and mic.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106346

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106381
 
IceMat Siberias :)

Hell no. The Icemats are ok for gaming but ALL "gaming headsets" suck for music compared to a Sennheiser 485, 555, 595 which can all be used out of the soundcard.

A zalman mic costs 7 bucks and can be ghetto modded with a wire coat hanger.

Trust me on this brother I KNOW of what I speak.

I have had Icemats, Medusas, Sennheiser PC150s, 160s and several other gaming headsets ALL OF WHICH BROKE within a few months.

Get a Sennheiser 485 and a Zalman mic and be really happy.
 
To be honest, the PC150 is not THAT great. The Cans are nice with good bass, but the mic is really worse than many i had before.

I'd not go with the PC150. Look at the siberias or the new Turtle Beach 5.1 headset:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502008

I just got the Turtle Beach, after my PC150 broke (another gripe with the PC150...it's built is rather cheap) and it's built quality wise and mic wise classes ahead of the PC150. The cans are not too shabby as well and produce sound just as good as the PC150 or maybe even better.
 

The HD580's are great and that desktop mic is not too great, it's a desktop mic and it picks up a lot of ambient sound and wind movement.

Oh and I've RMA'd my Sennheiser PC150's a lot too, this is my third pair and it's already falling apart, somewhat.
 
I know you can't alway go by the reviews on newegg, but it seems that the reaction on the Zalman mic is mixed. It also sucks to pay $4.99 shipping on a $7 item.

If I did go with this mic, does it pick up sound fine from being clipped on the headphone's cord?
 
My boyfriend and I both use the zalman mic when we game, and if anything, the mic is a bit on the /too/ powerful. When we first got the mics, we thought it was giving off a bunch of static...but actually it was picking up the sound of all the fans in his compy. =P

So it does pick up quite a bit of background noise (other people chattering, just about any noise in the room). But on the upside, yeah, it'll pick up your voice. I've had it just laying on the ground next to me while sitting on the floor and my boyfriend heard me just fine.

And depending on tax/shipping costs, it may be cheaper to get it from xoxide or maybe even ebay if you wanna go that route.

http://www.xoxide.com/zmmic1.html
 
I'm using Icemat Siberias, while they are nowhere near the best, they perform quite well and they have a clip on the mic unlike the zalmans.
 
get a pair of senns and the zalman mic like everyone is saying. you asked a question and thats the answer. why would you be worried about shipping on the mic if you're ordering a pair of headphones and the mic?
 
Beyerdynamic DT770Pro is an outstanding can for gaming. Try to get the 80ohm varient, as if you go with the 250ohm (mine), a decent amp is really needed to effeciently drive them. Good Luck!
 
Beyerdynamic DT770Pro is an outstanding can for gaming. Try to get the 80ohm varient, as if you go with the 250ohm (mine), a decent amp is really needed to effeciently drive them. Good Luck!

this one in combination of the USB ( digital ) version of that Logitech desktop microphone.
that mic is one of the clearest i've ever heard... is around €20 bere in belgium though...
 
get a pair of senns and the zalman mic like everyone is saying. you asked a question and thats the answer. why would you be worried about shipping on the mic if you're ordering a pair of headphones and the mic?

I know I can get the 485's from CompUSA for 20% off, since they are closing stores here in MO. If I went that route, I would have to order the Zalman mic online. If that's a good mic, I don't mind doing it. I was more commenting in general about some of Newegg's shipping practices....
 
I own the Sennheiser 485's But I dont believe they are that great for lets say. Counterstrike. Its really ahrd to distinguish where people are coming from. It picks up sound very well. Prolly one of the best headphones Ive owned for music and movies.

Maybe its just my shatty soundcard that comes with the P5B-E .
Its onboard 7.1 possibly not giving full potential to my Senns..

I would recommend them for sound.. And under $100 they are awesome. And i can wear them for hours on end :)
 
Back
Top