Best DVD copying software

I just got a bunch of DVDs when I was home in Ireland mistakingly thinking my new DVD player was region-free :( Is there a good program that can decrypt these DVDs so I can re-burn back to a DVD without the region protection?

Another great program is AnyDVD. Also you could try changing the regional code on your DVD player.

Dvd shrink is very good. it's easy to use and works well.
You should be able to find DVD decrypter as well to copy the disk to your hard drive and remove encryption if that's your thing. then open the files in dvd shrink and work from there.
There are other programs that will do what decrypter does on the fly, but I like to work from my hard drive whenever possible. It helps because I've only got the single cd drive.

My steps for a dvd backup. *I like to just take the movie and the best audio track*

pop the disc in my drive, open dvd decrypter. there's a button at the bottom to copy it into a folder.

Then once that's done, I open up DVD Shrink and click 'open files'. browse to that folder, and let it show what's there.
I'll usually hit the reauthor tab, drag the movie to the left.
Then click compression tab, uncheck the subtitles, extra audio tracks, extra features and trailers listed at the bottom, and hope it brings the compression down to where it's not going to be compressed at all.
I generally shoot for at least 75% or more if I can help it. No compression is obviously preferred, and again, obviously faster.

Once you click the backup button, give it a good volume name. There are a couple other settings on another tab about deep analysis, and the sharpness or smoothness or something like that. If you're compressing the video at all, make sure it does the deep analysis, and at least look at the other options.

sirholio said:
Dvd shrink is very good. it's easy to use and works well.
You should be able to find DVD decrypter as well to copy the disk to your hard drive and remove encryption if that's your thing. then open the files in dvd shrink and work from there.
There are other programs that will do what decrypter does on the fly, but I like to work from my hard drive whenever possible. It helps because I've only got the single cd drive.

My steps for a dvd backup. *I like to just take the movie and the best audio track*

pop the disc in my drive, open dvd decrypter. there's a button at the bottom to copy it into a folder.

Then once that's done, I open up DVD Shrink and click 'open files'. browse to that folder, and let it show what's there.
I'll usually hit the reauthor tab, drag the movie to the left.
Then click compression tab, uncheck the subtitles, extra audio tracks, extra features and trailers listed at the bottom, and hope it brings the compression down to where it's not going to be compressed at all.
I generally shoot for at least 75% or more if I can help it. No compression is obviously preferred, and again, obviously faster.

Once you click the backup button, give it a good volume name. There are a couple other settings on another tab about deep analysis, and the sharpness or smoothness or something like that. If you're compressing the video at all, make sure it does the deep analysis, and at least look at the other options.

Thanks, I'll try them both.

PS I'm new to DVD burning and a bit confused by all these + and - suffixes on the media. Can anybody tell me what's what?

DVD-R is generally more compataible for DVD players, and DVD+R is best used on data if you have any.

DVD+R is more compatible if your DVD burner supports bitsetting. You can change the booktype to DVD-ROM.

OldPueblo said:
Are they PAL DVDs though? Does it matter that we use NTSC here?

I've run into that problem before. Sometimes not only do I get the region lock, but the whole Pal/NTSC thing rears it's ugly head, but funnily enough not every time. Everything always works ok on my PC, I'm hoping in the conversion that's taken care of too.

I've been using DVD Shrink the last couple of days as recommended, and I'm loving it. I was extracting everything to a TS_VIDEO directory and burning back with Nero, which needs Nero Vision if you do it this way, so I've extracted to an ISO image which works beautifully with just the regular Nero. Is there a similar program to DVD Shrink which will create an ISO of a copy protected audio CD so I can backup my music CDs too? I've been using CloneCD up until now, but some games (D3 for instance) won't run when CloneCD is installed on a system.

Nero should be able to make ISOs (I'm talking about full Nero, I'm not sure about Nero Express).

If you're using version 6.x, it's under Extras -> Save Tracks (confusing huh?).

Try that, but I'm not sure how well it works on protected discs.

BillLeeLee said:
Nero should be able to make ISOs (I'm talking about full Nero, I'm not sure about Nero Express).

If you're using version 6.x, it's under Extras -> Save Tracks (confusing huh?).

Try that, but I'm not sure how well it works on protected discs.

Nero won't let you copy copy-protected CDs :(

Eyeball Kid said:
Nero won't let you copy copy-protected CDs :(
You'll need CloneCD or even EAC in secure mode (my favourite!). Which drive will you be using to back up the Audio CDs?

Ahhh, I never thought of using EAC (I use it for ripping only, usually), good call. I'm using a Liteon drive, it handles everything I throw at it.

Back