Best defragmentation software???

KamaL

n00b
Hi guys...

I starting to feel that my HD needs some heavy defragmentation, so I started searching for the "best" program... But which one is better in your opinion??

Executive software Diskeeper
O&O Defrag Professional edition
Norton SpeedDisk

and all other...

Any recommendations???

Thanx:)

I use diskeeper, seems really good. I like it.

but I don't nkow how the others compare

O&O and Diskeeper both work very well. O&O gives you more of a choice on which method of defragging it does though, which I like.

And how are they superior to the one built in to Windows? Or do you only need this software because you guys are using a different OS?

Originally posted by Lord Chambers
And how are they superior to the one built in to Windows? Or do you only need this software because you guys are using a different OS?
these are defragmenters to replace the windows version. not for use in linux as far as I know. Don't know the real benefits if there are any.

All windows defragmenter does is defragment files, without paying too much attention the where the files are on the disk and the order that they are arranged.

More advanced program can organise the files so the most accessed or modified files will be put near the start of the disk (the fastest section). Another way is arranging files by name and directory e.g. your playing a game and loading the next level then the drives heads dont have to travel far to load the content.

Another reason is that it is possible to hard drives to be so fragmented the the windows defrag can't cope - the reason i now use O&O.

Originally posted by Connundrum1
where can you get the above said programs?

O&O Defrag Pro V6
main options I like
ability to defrag by
Name, last Access, Date, Space or Stealth (automatic background)
I employ different strategies for different types of data (which I keep on different partitions)
Concurrently defrag multiple HDDs, and do it with whatever available resources there are
defrag exclusively locked files (Master File Table, registry ect) at boot
set automatic threshold levels so if a partition reaches X% fragmentation my selected mode of defrag (Name Date Access) kicks on
its fast (alot faster than Windows native utility, which is a crippleware version of Diskeeper)

Diskkeeper 8

Thanx guys for all the replies..

I've chosen the O&O product..

But hey.... There are so many choices of defragmentation... which one is in your opinin the best??? Stealth?? Or any other??

Thanx again...

well, for an initial defrag do Space
then depending on what the partition is for select another

like if its games and some games you play alot more then others
select last Access

you might have a photo gallery or documents done with Date

alternately by Name

a good Partitioning Strategy goes a long way in optimizing your access, some data simply doesnt need the Performance boost it would get at the outer perimeter of the platter (where since the disc is spinning at a fixed speed, but there is more ro0om for data (sectors\bit) more bits are passing under the head, so sustained transfer rates are higher there, in addition any seek the head needs to make if contained to a single partuition is only a fraction of the degrees it might have to search if it was the whole disk

see both
As the Disk Spins @ Lost Circuits
Optimizing Tutorial (under construction)

I use Raxco Perfectdisk and I think it does a much better job than diskeeper or speed disk.

Here's another vote for O&O. I use version 4.0, so I would appreciate it if you would report back on how you like the newer version. I'm particularly interested in how quickly it does the job.

You made an excellent choice, by the way. You won't be sorry. The ability to defragment locked files will quickly spoil you. :)

I too run Raxco PerfectDisk. Another benefit of these 3rd party defraggers is the defragging of the Master File Table. Windows doesn't do that either.

Back