Best Config?

zachary80

2[H]4U
I currently have a AMD AthlonXP 2400+ running @ about 2.3ghz running FAH4 console

Are there any settings to make it fold more efficiently?

I also have a 700mhz Athlon that will just be a file server and run FAH. Anything for it?

run with -advmethods and -forceSSE flags. If the AMD locks up, then dont use the -forceSSE flag because there have been problems with AMD and SSE.

FOLD ON!!!

Originally posted by pduan87
run with -advmethods and -forceSSE flags. If the AMD locks up, then dont use the -forceSSE flag because there have been problems with AMD and SSE.

FOLD ON!!!

they are both AMD, one is just an Athlong (700mhz), one is an AthlonXP (2300mhz)

where do I add the tags? to a shortcut?

Yup, add them to your short cut

as in

.exe -advmethods -forcesse

Have fun and enjoy

BillR

just added that -advmethods -forcesse
to my amd see how better it folds for the [H]orde now

-forcesse since i posted this just keeps crashing so -advmethods it is try it see how it goes is there any other things that could be added instead ?

xp2000

do these work with the graphical client?
Yes

82500.gif

Originally posted by The[H]uman
just added that -advmethods -forcesse
to my amd see how better it folds for the [H]orde now

-forcesse since i posted this just keeps crashing so -advmethods it is try it see how it goes is there any other things that could be added instead ?

xp2000
-advmethods is only for getting the newest units, not neccesarily, but usually gromacs. Those who use this flag should not complain about crashing.

When you are playing with flags trry one at a time.

-forceasm does not work on the new clients at all.

-forcesse is what you want.

If it's crashing with forcesse, you may not have a stable overclock, or you may have something wrong with your system.

clocked it down to default and re-put in that other flag will see it has been running for 3 wks with no crash since i installed it with no flags and OCed so that seems pretty stable to me but crashed when i put that flag on it will see what it does at default

* edit *

seems to be stable so far with both flags readded and folding at about 14 mins per which on the same protien earlier was taking 30 so default clock and flags enabled running faster by alittle more then half so keep it there if it's going to keep working like that

I got 3 AMD machines that hang with -forceSSE enabled. I do not believe this is a hardware problem as quite a few people are having the same experience. In fact my new AMD64 hangs just about everyday. I have tried many different memory settings and even took my Mushkin memory out and tried some Kingston. Same results no matter what I try. :(

Originally posted by mwarps
-forceasm does not work on the new clients at all.

-forcesse is what you want.

If it's crashing with forcesse, you may not have a stable overclock, or you may have something wrong with your system.
From the User Guide:
-forceasm
Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible, even if it has previously made the determination that the machine may not be handling this well.
-forceSSE
On machines with an AMD processor, Core_78 gives priority to 3DNow over SSE -- this overrides that.
-advmethods
Request to be assigned any new Cores or work units.

from Bruce in this thread
The same parameters as the Console apply to the GUI console. If your AMD is stable running SSE continuously, you can use -forceSSE. If your system freezes occasionally, you may want to run 3DNow instead. You really don't need -forceasm unless your system crashes, since the default is to run 3DNow, at least until the client detects a crash.

After a crash, -forceasm will re-enable the default assembly optimizations, which is 3DNow for AMD or SSE for Intel.

If the system crashes and the client detects the crash it turns off assembly optimizations.

Originally posted by Dr. Cleetus
I got 3 AMD machines that hang with -forceSSE enabled. I do not believe this is a hardware problem as quite a few people are having the same experience. In fact my new AMD64 hangs just about everyday. I have tried many different memory settings and even took my Mushkin memory out and tried some Kingston. Same results no matter what I try. :(

Did you try raising the TRas? I adjusted my Barton to TRas 11 and it stopped crashing. 400Mhz DDR.

Ok I raised the Tras up to 11. It was at 8 by default. Now I will just have to wait and see. And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe drinking beer while waiting is politically correct these days. :)

Originally posted by gnewbury
From the User Guide:

from Bruce in this thread

If the system crashes and the client detects the crash it turns off assembly optimizations.

I am well aware what the userguide says. When 4.00 first came out, it did not take -forceasm from my experience, it errored out. It apparently does now. Glad they fixed it.

Back