Best bang for buck wifi router on the market?

darude

n00b
Hi guys,

I'm looking to spend $50-80 on a solid wifi router for a 1500 sq ft space. The ISP will be Charter with upwards of 30 mbps download speeds.

Looking for a router that:
  • Provide stable WIFI to upwards of 4 PCs at a time
  • Will not drop connection during light gaming (CS:GO, DOTA 2) and/or streaming (very important! willing to spend more money if necessary)

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm on an Apple Time Capsule (2nd Gen = 802.11n + dual radio) and current 11ac airport extreme is $200. Airport Express goes for $100 but I'm pretty sure it's not dual radio.

One thing I will say is get a surge suppressor with Ethernet dataline protection or invest in an APC gig-ethernet standalone surge suppressor:
http://www.amazon.com/APC-PNET1GB-P...qid=1408381624&sr=8-1&keywords=Ethernet+Surge
between your modem and router. I used to have routers die every 18-24 months. My current Time Capsule has been in service for over 5 years now, and my Asus 11g router lasted about 6, before it died.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am currently looking at the ASUS N56U vs the NETGEAR WNDR4300. Both units are $88 on Amazon.

Reading through the reviews got me a little worried about the ASUS firmwire, but not sure if this should be something that should concern an amateur like me.

Also, leaving this thread open for anybody who might have experience with the ASUS vs NETGEAR. I would definitely like to hear any feedback before I make a decision!

asus n66u is my current router. House is 1900 sq ft. Awesome coverage and bandwidth over wifi.

$100 TP-Link Archer C7 v2 simultaneous 2.5GHz and 5GHz dual radio works fine here.

I have no complaints about my Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD (~$80). Impressive performance, range, and stability. Options associated with a typical SOHO, off the shelf router can be configured in the simple Quickset panel.

Back