Best Bang for Buck Bright, Forward Speaker, Amps?

pufftissue

n00b
Hi Everyone,

I messed up. Please tell me what to buy so that I get it right this next time.

I own:
1. Klipsch 2.1, love it.
2. Bought Paradigm atoms and Sonic impact t-amp b/c I thought that was arguably the best sound for the buck around, which if I can't afford top-of-the line, then I wanted to get the best budget system. I either want a deal or the best, not much in between.
3. I like the Klipsch 2.1 better. From other threads, it's b/c I apparently love "bright, forward" sound. They said my love for Grado, B&W, and Klipsch seals the deal. I did not think much of the Sennheiser hd-650s or the atoms, and they both sounded similar: voices were distant, a little muffled, not as clear, a little darker sounding.

My questions:
1. What are the best budget bookshelf speakers that are bright and forward? I guess the atoms are not, right?
2. What is the best budget receiver/amp to mate with budget bright and forward sounding speakers? So I'm hearing the t-amp is not really the best choice, is this correct?

I like to keep the total cost for speaker + amp less than $1000. I will only be listening in a bedroom, and that won't change for probably another 10 years. Source is an emu 0404, but if that should change as well in order to achieve best bang for the buck, please let me know.

Fix me please.

I've heard plenty about the Axiom speakers being on the bright side.

I'd agree about the sonic T-amp. It might be good for the price, but that's a big qualifier, considering it costs, what, 30$?

Another consideration: Go to audiogon.com and look for some used B&W. You already know that you like the sound, and I'm sure that somebody is selling a used pair of bookshelves for 60% off.. happens all the time.

For amps, I'd look towards perhaps a NAD two-channel amp, Rotel, or similar, unless you plan to later expand to multichannel. If you want to go for multichannel, then a 300ish dollar model Denon from Ecost might be up your alley.

Back