Best anti-virus software that's free and not a memory hog?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
I used to use AVG but apparently the free version is being discontinued. What's another good anti-virus software that is free and is not a memory hog?

If you're happy with AVG, are you sure it's being discontinued? I can't find any news about that, but support for version 7.5 is being discontinued, it seems - version 8.0 is current. There was a spate of concern about AVG being discontinued in 2006 too, when support for an old version ended. Seems that they should make their alerts clearer.

I recommend Avira Free. Normally I shell out for Nod32, but looking at AV-Comparatives, Avira does a very good job.

I haver been using Avast for a couple of years. The home edition is free

Avira does do a very good job but at the cost of some relatively heavy resource usage which flies in the face of exactly what the OP was asking for. It's now the highest ranked AV product on AV-Comparitives - finally someone knocked NOD32 clear down in rank, so that alone is very substantial - and I've installed it on a few VMs for some testing of my own.

I don't agree with AV-Comparitives in terms of its effectiveness as in my testing NOD32 v3 caught more in-the-wild stuff from my test bed, but I still use NOD32 v2.7 on my primary workstations anyway. It seems NOD32 v3 has made some changes to the basic engine that are causing the difference in ranking and giving Avira the "nod" as the best - but that's on their test platform.

But NOD32 v2.7 still stomps the fuck outta everything on the market today, oddly. And it's still smaller in terms of the performance hit and overall resource requirements.

Having said that, if you can deal with the additional bloat of Avira, it would more than likely be the one to choose. If not, cough up the $40 for NOD32 and stop being a cheapskate. Help keep Eset in business and producing great products. Free software like Avira isn't meant to be a lifeline, it's meant to give you a taste of the software and how it functions; if you use it and you like it, buy the damned software and keep the company rolling, even if it's Avira. They can't keep throwing out free products forever, no one can.

I like AVG. Doesn't take too many resources and can stop 64-bit viruses, however rare they are, lol!

My dad uses the paid, commercial version in his office. However, I'm investigating Avira right now..

~Ibrahim~

Recently switched from Avast to Avira. System seems much more responsive.

AntiVir...very light, and VERY effective in detection. Only drawback is sometimes the free versions update needs an eye kept on it, and an occasional kick in the butt.

AVG = heavier and quite frankly...poor detection for the past couple of years

Avast = decent detection..but heavy on systems, really adds to bootup time.

AVG misses way too much for me to ever trust it. I use Enod 32. Not sure about any free options.

I used to use AVG but apparently the free version is being discontinued. What's another good anti-virus software that is free and is not a memory hog?

AVG inst being discontinued. I just downloaded it on another laptop of mine. If you are happy with it (which I am VERY HAPPY WITH IT) keep it - don't make the switch if you don't need.want to.

Back