Best 64 bit SFF System?

Me too for Shuttle. The Soltek was just reviewed over at SFFTech: EQ3801
While its a nice box, the Shuttle SN85g4 beat it in performance and the Soltek has the latest Nforce250 chipset!

Regards,

-E

I say to heck with those units and build one yourself using the Antec Aria case that holds microATX not SFF boards. Buying this case ARIA and this MSI MicroATX comes out to 189.00 and that case has a 300 watt Antec power supply in it as well as front panel for USB, Firewire, Audio, and a 8in1 Flash reader. I'm currently running mine with an A64 3200+, 1 GIG RAM, 120GIG SATA HD, and a ATI AIW 9600 and using it for my TV. :)

http://www.ciwscentral.com/foldingpc3.jpg

CIWS said:
I say to heck with those units and build one yourself using the Antec Aria case that holds microATX not SFF boards. Buying this case ARIA and this MSI MicroATX comes out to 189.00 and that case has a 300 watt Antec power supply in it as well as front panel for USB, Firewire, Audio, and a 8in1 Flash reader. I'm currently running mine with an A64 3200+, 1 GIG RAM, 120GIG SATA HD, and a ATI AIW 9600 and using it for my TV. :)

http://www.ciwscentral.com/foldingpc3.jpg

I was considering putting together a system similar to that.. Have you had any heat troubles? I've heard very poor things about the Aria's ventilation, but I figured the heat output of an A64 should be ok.

The Aira also supposedly looks much worse in person than in pics. It looks very cheap. The opposite it usually true for XPCs.

ra-odin said:
I was considering putting together a system similar to that.. Have you had any heat troubles? I've heard very poor things about the Aria's ventilation, but I figured the heat output of an A64 should be ok.

It comes with a low noise 120cm fan on the back to draw air out and if you wish to use it they also provide a slot cooler to fit in one of the PCI slots to pull air out of the case, although I'm not using mine. Since the side panels slip off pretty easily I've seen people add 80cm fans to theirs, but again I'm running with just the rear 120. Besides being my TV / MP3 player it's also running the Folding project 24/7 which keeps the CPU under a 100% load so if I was going to have a heat issue, I think I would ave seen it by now.

agentzero9 said:
The Aira also supposedly looks much worse in person than in pics. It looks very cheap. The opposite it usually true for XPCs.

All I know is that pic I took linked above was with a Sony 8 megapixel camera. That's what it looks like in person. except the photo doesn't really do justice to the little blue lights in the front. Plus I know in the HTPC photo section of the forum there's some pics from other folks there (some fan modded) that have used this case. I guess if someone wanted they could e-mail or PM them and ask what they think of theirs and get a few different opinions. I like being able to load it up with almost any MicroATX MB/CPU combo. :)

CIWS I didn't even notice that pic you posted. I was really referring to product pics on retail websites.

That said do you have a higher res version of that pic? Perhaps with better lighting?

CIWS said:
It comes with a low noise 120cm fan on the back to draw air out and if you wish to use it they also provide a slot cooler to fit in one of the PCI slots to pull air out of the case, although I'm not using mine. Since the side panels slip off pretty easily I've seen people add 80cm fans to theirs, but again I'm running with just the rear 120. Besides being my TV / MP3 player it's also running the Folding project 24/7 which keeps the CPU under a 100% load so if I was going to have a heat issue, I think I would ave seen it by now.

Very cool, thanks for the info :)

How would the performance of the Shuttle be compared to a full size or regular ATX system? I know heat might be a problem but I want to replace my current system(listed in my sig.) with a 64-bit one.Would it be able to keep up with other 64 bit system?

ohgod said:
How would the performance of the Shuttle be compared to a full size or regular ATX system? I know heat might be a problem but I want to replace my current system(listed in my sig.) with a 64-bit one.Would it be able to keep up with other 64 bit system?

the performance is pretty much similar

h ocp review

I just built an Antec Aria for my daughter using an Nforce2 motherboard.

Pros:
Lots more room than a Shuttle box for extra disk drives
The front Blue LEDs are cool
Nice cabling for the USB / 1394 hookups
The 120mm fan is quiet
Nice 300Watt PSU

Cons:
Larger footprint than a Shuttle box
Cheap plastic feeling on the outside "ribbed" area
The screw location for the add in cards are poorly designed and very prone to stirp
Box runs a bit hot
Larger Heatsinks wont clear the PSU

My daughter loves this new box overall, and despite the negatives, the aria has grown on me.

Just my 02 cents.

-E

Are you getting one?

Yep, fedex is dropping it off today. Along with a 2800+ cpu if I can't get the mobile to run. I was told the latest BIOS corrected issues that was causing it to perform slower then the nForce 150. We will see.

Kingofl337 said:
Yep, fedex is dropping it off today. Along with a 2800+ cpu if I can't get the mobile to run. I was told the latest BIOS corrected issues that was causing it to perform slower then the nForce 150. We will see.

i saw something similar to that comment aswell...

the box looks like it may get a bit warm though.. tell us how that goes.

I'm also hoping the C-Media onboard dedicated PCI sound card supports Realtime Dobly Digital encoding like the other C-media solutions.

Kingofl337 said:
I'm also hoping the C-Media onboard dedicated PCI sound card supports Realtime Dobly Digital encoding like the other C-media solutions.

i thought that was only soundstorm..

Yup. Realtime Dolby Digital Encoding was a SoundStorm only property, and it had to be certified by Nvidia in order to carry the logo. It also had to be the MCP-T model, and not just the MCP if I'm not mistaken.

Regards,

-E

Here is my air cooled ARIA
AMD 64 3200+
giga byte K8VT800M
1gb Samsung DDR333
ATi Radeon x800xt PE
1 wd raptor 36.0 gb 10k 8mb (no Raid)
1 wd 200 gb 7200 8mb
turtle beach santa cruz 5.1
NEC 8x dvd RW
zalman cnps7000a
2 zaman slims (on the way 70x70x15) at 2500rpm
2 slabs noise conductant celluar foam
1 antec 80x80x25 3200rpm case fan (already moded)
waiting for 2 filters and need an idea on what kind of fan grill i should intall.
I have pics but no way to attach them it seems any help would be great

running temps at idle 35c /nominal 38c /load 40c not bad for a sff

Im pretty sure im gonna get the soltek as it has the newer chipset, I just cant wait and see if the bios fixes the performance problem.

I have had an Shuttle SN85 with an ATI9800 as my main rig for a few months now and it runs great.

I built a system with an Aria a couple of months back and while I really like Antec products I did not think much of this case.
IMHO it is MUCH better looking in pictures than it is live.
The build quality is not all that good with screws that are too small, easily misthread and holes that do not quite line up.
Add to that the power supply wiring is much longer than it needs to be and exits from the bottom of the P/S right where the northbridge and/or cpu heatsink reside making clean routing impossible.

WarHammer

The shuttles' cannot run an Ati Radeon x800xt P.E. or 6800(on the gforce, the ARIA cant either, but the x800xt works fine) so I dont see shuttle in my future. Untill they (shuttles get 300+ watt PS's

i got one a few days ago for sheets and giggles, im worried about using the native 250 watt'r for o/cin duties. The Shuttle heatpipe cooling solution/design that they invented seems to be a better solution then the skt8 type cooling that is in the Qbic/Soltek. Im gonna swap out the aluminum copper-cored unit that came with and put in something all copper... man that ps is worrying me though. Should i just take the mobo out of the lil box and transplant it into my box that houses my Gigabyte k8 150 now? Wondering if Aquarious II will fit in it. I wonder if ill stop wondering about everything ? :)

The X800 Pro runs fine in the Soltek. I even overclocked the snot out of my X800 and it still ran fine. I'm currently cooling my CPU with Aquarius II. Its not installed inside the system yet but will be soon enough.

The x800pro will work with the soletek, but the x800xt pe cannot, uless you run a low wattage mobile with 1hd and it would be crap to O.C., however you could do a transformer and resistor upgrade on that soltek and get 280watts out of it and you CAN run it.the x800xt pe taxes my 300w Aria, and if you window it (I will have pics up on our server soon <earlier thought forum would let me you attach /it didn't>) it looks nice in person and in pics (Aria is a little but-t hert in the footprint). I am just waiting for pci express and new G-cards.Props to ATi and Nvidia for the new video card "coup" these new card's are power hungry and very sweet. I just want new Via chipset's (no offense nforce guy's/nforce3 250 rocks, but other nforces' I've played with sux0rs) and good solid video card performance.
the geforce6800 ultra extreme is looking to be my next card for my 600w full tower.
and the x800xt pe is looking to be the best Damn video quality on the planet for 1600x1200 6aa 12af and 70+ fps on all my games (FC, CoH, Cod, NFSU, Unreal 2k3,4 ,Quake 3, and more ) all without taxing my sff, however you crank these settings up It causes more heat and my Sff didn't like it, But I cut a window with a variable speed dremel and put in 2 zalman 80x80x15 slims in and it stays at 30c now at boot 32 under 1hr warm up 34c full load with a zalman cpns7ka fan need to update my temps in the forum I am gonna O.C. it again back to 2.6ghz it was stable but I put it back to run it cold again at clock to test and time my 2.6 O.C. @42c very inpressive for a Sff.
I like the soltek Footprint and dual 5.25's in an sff. shuttlese are fun but I have to 2 friends that have them I like the sn45 , but the 41 sucked. Honestley though I think he put too much power gobbling stuff in it, and it just fr00zE, every ten minute's utd drivers and no OC he switched to a moblie xp after running a 3200+xp 400/ 1gb 3500/ 574gb total 250ide/250sata/74sata 10k/Ati AIW9800 ext-cdrw drive plextor 52x told him it would work in a 45 so he got one and it did (as per my other friends request)another nice Sff. till next post
Late all

Rikimaru said:
The shuttles' cannot run an Ati Radeon x800xt P.E. or 6800(on the gforce, the ARIA cant either, but the x800xt works fine) so I dont see shuttle in my future. Untill they (shuttles get 300+ watt PS's

ERM.....Dunno what hole your under, but no shuttle, not even the 200watt versions have ANY problem with the X800XT-PE. http://sfftech.com browse the forums and ask that question. Guarantee you you WILL be proved wrong. The 6800Ultra is out of the question, it wont even fit :rolleyes: The GT DOES fit AND runs on the 250watt. Anyway, all shuttles are either 250 or 240 now so there is NO problem. I guess a shuttle IS in your future now :)

WarHammer said:

That sucks dude, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with it. I didn't run into any of those problems myself. As far as the looks issue, I actually saw one in person at Frys before I ever looked at some online sales pics so I didn't have anything other than the real thing to reference. Besides if it looks too nasty I can always mod/paint the case, I like the Aria because of features (300 watt Pwr sup, MicroATX boards, 8in1 reader) not because of it's appearence, that's easily changed. :)

MicroATX boards, I run the MSI K8MM and it runs two sticks of RAM just fine. I'm running 2 x 512 in mine.

Back