• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 24" Displays

eric335

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 9, 2012
Messages
266
Hey all,

Im looking to build a new gaming PC soon and im kinda stuck when it comes to monitors. What im planning on going with at the moment is:

Asus VS248H-P for 205$

OR

VK248H-CSM for 215$

What are the differences as far as the screen goes?


What would you recommend for a monitor?

Specs i want:
Im looking for 24" or bigger
Would prefer to stay under about 300$.
1920x1080/1200 or higher (is 1200 really better, it seems harder to find)
refresh rate of 2ms (do i really need 2ms? Since its for gaming i thought the faster the better)


Shoot your suggestions :cool:


Thanks all
 
Last edited:
I'd go with the cheaper one... unless you really need speakers and a webcam :) I like to debezel my monitors so all those extras don't really help me in my case... but they may be great for you.
 
whats better about it? it has a 6ms response time, so its not terribly quick.... Do IPS displays have much better color than TN panels?

thanks!


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I'm no monitor expert but I can tell you that the Asus in question is MADE for photo/color sensitive work. The colors and contrast are a whole world better than any TN display.

If you can spare the extra cash for the Asus its a no brainer. I can honestly say without even looking at them that the Asus is 10x better in every way vs. the monitors you have in mind.
 
JoeUser said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric335

whats better about it? it has a 6ms response time, so its not terribly quick.... Do IPS displays have much better color than TN panels?

thanks!


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I'm no monitor expert but I can tell you that the Asus in question is MADE for photo/color sensitive work. The colors and contrast are a whole world better than any TN display.

If you can spare the extra cash for the Asus its a no brainer. I can honestly say without even looking at them that the Asus is 10x better in every way vs. the monitors you have in mind.

the monitor im thinking of is an Asus TN panel. the reason im staying away from IPS panels is b/c my primary purpose will be gaming......

so, what should i do?


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
the monitor im thinking of is an Asus TN panel. the reason im staying away from IPS panels is b/c my primary purpose will be gaming......

so, what should i do?

I use my IPS monitors primarily for (casual) gaming.

Unless you play shooters or RTS competitively, or you absolutely want the smooth motion of an 120Hz monitor and you don't care much about potentially poor colors and bad viewing angles, then it's not really any contest. IPS is the way to go.
 
wyqtor said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric335

the monitor im thinking of is an Asus TN panel. the reason im staying away from IPS panels is b/c my primary purpose will be gaming......

so, what should i do?

I use my IPS monitors primarily for (casual) gaming.

Unless you play shooters or RTS competitively, or you absolutely want the smooth motion of an 120Hz monitor and you don't care much about potentially poor colors and bad viewing angles, then it's not really any contest. IPS is the way to go.

is it noticeably slower than a TN panel? my primary game will be guild wars 2, but i will buy shooters/elder scrolls games as well. are TNs noticeably smoother, and conversely, do they noticeably have poorer color? viewing angel i dont care about at all


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
i hate this phone, sorry. bad typos


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
ips makes a whole lot difference. i dont know why they still make tn panels.
 
is it noticeably slower than a TN panel?

IPS slowness is mainly a problem of the past. Don't worry about it. My Dell 23" IPS monitors were both faster, smoother than the old 22" LG TN they were replacing. And the games looked like I had just ramped up the graphics to see more details, when all I did was to replace an old TN for a new IPS.

Trust me, most cheapo TNs are crap.
 
IPS slowness is mainly a problem of the past. Don't worry about it. My Dell 23" IPS monitors were both faster, smoother than the old 22" LG TN they were replacing. And the games looked like I had just ramped up the graphics to see more details, when all I did was to replace an old TN for a new IPS.

Trust me, most cheapo TNs are crap.

Agreed, cheapo TNs are crap. Modern, more expensive TNs are comparable to similar costing IPS panels, depending on your tastes. They each have trade-offs but the general consensus around here is that IPS is the be-all-end-all. I'm in the minority and disagree.
 
Well i can also say that IPS panels bring much more detail compared to TN panels :)
 
Well i can also say that IPS panels bring much more detail compared to TN panels :)

The detail is already there. Neither panel enhances the detail in any direct way. However, there are a few things that each panel will do that will indirectly enhance the details, and which looks better will depend on what you are more perceptive to.

-An IPS panel will generally have MUCH better vertical viewing angles (better horizontal as well, but it's not as noticeable as vertical). Even looking at your monitor dead on will cause many to notice that the top and bottom halves of their TN panel don't look the same. To mitigate this, a TN user has to have good posture and have their eyes level with the top third of the screen. IPS and VA don't have this issue.

-Almost all modern TNs are 6-bit plus FRC whereas most modern IPS panels are 8-bit. This causes less banding in an IPS panel. To be honest, I don't know of any 8-bit TNs these days.

-Better response times means that a TN will have less details blurred out during motion than an IPS. The best TN panels can actually look better in motion than a comparatively priced IPS due to this (assuming you're not sensitive to gamma shift, in which case, that will still bother you).

-In general, TN panels have better black levels and better static (real) contrast ratios. However, the difference isn't obscene, not like comparing TN to VA or any form of LCD to plasma.

-Screen coatings also affect picture quality. Glossy won't mask the details but tends to be reflective. Semi-gloss seems to be the best type (and is common on HDTVs), but most Monitor OEMs tend to avoid it. I honestly don't know why. Lastly is AG (anti-glare) coating. This tries to get rid of the glare/reflections but it causes a grainy/sparkly look to the screen. Most IPS panels using AG are HEAVY whereas TN/VA use a lighter coat. So unless you're using a glossy IPS, your IPS probably blurs text and has sparkly whites even when compared to a cheap TN.

Basically, don't assume that one panel type is inherently superior to another. You may have gone from a crap TN to an average or better IPS. TN has its place even if it has fallen out of favor on these boards. But, I just wanted to clarify that IPS does not enhance the details of an image.
 
The general thing ppl do is look at the stats and say: wow, compare 2 ms to 6 ms that is 3 times MORE.
It actually isn't. The difference between 2 ms and 6 ms is so small, and both 2 ms and 6 ms are so far from CRT panels, that I don't really bother about it, and at this point I don't care anymore if is 6 or 2.

However, you need to decide if you want TN vs IPS, if you want glossy vs matte, and there are also other things like size vs quality. Once you studied the difference, you will be able to decide yourself.
I bough a TN panel that is just a tiny bit better for gaming then my current IPS, but I hate every bit of that TN panel because of everything else. Disastrous viewing angles, really bad contrast, bad colors, really poor red/green/blue intensity (my TN can't show a red that is as red as blood), extremely bad whites, and on top of that, glowing whites..
 
Cerbul, I just wanted to add to what you said. Please don't take this as me contradicting you :)

The general thing ppl do is look at the stats and say: wow, compare 2 ms to 6 ms that is 3 times MORE.
It actually isn't. The difference between 2 ms and 6 ms is so small, and both 2 ms and 6 ms are so far from CRT panels, that I don't really bother about it, and at this point I don't care anymore if is 6 or 2.

These numbers are typically measured at whatever the fastest transition is for a monitor. Different transitions (grey to grey, green to green, black-white-black, and more) have different times. While one monitor may have 2ms GtG, it may be as bad as 14ms in BWB, whereas another could be 5ms GtG and 9ms BWB. Which one will be more noticeable? The monitor claiming to be 2ms.

Also, any "2ms" monitor that I've used has horrible RTC overshoot (black trails) at the fastest (2ms) setting. I usually dial them back to the middle (4-6ms) setting anyway. The good IPS monitors claiming 5-6ms are generally good enough for all but the most visually acute gamer. This group won't be satisfied with anything as they'll then complain about the gamma shift. Bottom line is that you are right, anything <10ms real world response time will be good for the vast majority of people.

However, you need to decide if you want TN vs IPS, if you want glossy vs matte, and there are also other things like size vs quality. Once you studied the difference, you will be able to decide yourself.
I bough a TN panel that is just a tiny bit better for gaming then my current IPS, but I hate every bit of that TN panel because of everything else. Disastrous viewing angles, really bad contrast, bad colors, really poor red/green/blue intensity (my TN can't show a red that is as red as blood), extremely bad whites, and on top of that, glowing whites..

Just keep in mind that this is one comparison but not the be-all-end-all. I was just at Best Buy harassing a friend for a release date on the IPS7 series. I was comparing the monitors on the wall as I'm still looking for a potential replacement for my BenQ GW series. One comparison caught my eye; Samsung S23B550v (TN, $189.99), and the LG IPS235T ($229.99). The Samsung was on sale as they are typically the same price. What I noticed side by side was that the "whites" on the LG has a purple/pink-ish hue to it whereas the Samsung was damn close to white. The AG coating on the LG was noticeable even at a distance, causing videos to lose some detail to blurriness. Colors outside of white were close enough that, if not side by side, a reasonable person would be happy with either (I'm assuming at this point that the LG was 6-bit as opposed to 8-bit). Turning on Magic Color - Intelligent made the Samsung more vibrant overall. What truly shocked me though was the horizontal viewing angles as they were about equal. Although the LG had the Samsung beat in vertical viewing angles, the Samsung was good enough in this regard. At the same price I'd take the Samsung in a heart beat. At $40 difference the Samsung is a killer.

But they also had an AOC 23" LCD there for about $160. It looked like thrice-baked ass. So please don't assume (not that you are, this is a message for everyone) that all TN panels are created equal. Samsung's 550/750 series TN panels are truly outstanding, and the 550s are on sale at BB/Newegg today. If I weren't waiting on this IPS7 to release for comparative purposes I'd jump on the 550 again today (27" model).
 
Although I hate TN panels, I can see them appealing to gamers or those who simply can't find anything else suitable. My main problem with TN is the vertical angle issue. I move around in my seat too much, or lean back, I should say... so they are close to unusable for me. For those with good posture and playing games all the time, they may be fine.

If going TN, I would suggest high end TNs (as mentioned by medion)... maybe samsung or NEC.

As for IPS, I hate the AG coating on most of them. I'd have a tough decision if picking heavily coated IPS vs vertically challenged TN -- I'd probably hate both of them.

For the OP, you may want to also consider that new 23" ASUS IPS (Asus VG23AH) that just came out, which is semi-glossy. It's a tad smaller than you want, and I'm not sure if proper reviews are out yet, but it could be worth looking into. I believe it's around $280ish.

Whether a TN will provide much smoother gaming than a modern day IPS... not sure. I don't game enough on my PC to tell any difference. On my older IPS, with a rather high input lag (at least compared to most TNs) I am fine with slower types of games... I think the fastest one has been diablo 3, and it's been fine. Guess you need to figure out if the tradeoffs are worth it. Every panel has its pros and cons. TN = less motion blur, but worse angles, worse color accuracy. IPS = better color accuracy, slightly worse blacks (although not insanely worse), better angles, but IPS glow + AG coating problems (unless glossy/semiglossy).
 
damn im not sure what to go with. all this info makes it hard to decide lol i think going to Best Buys and looking at them in person would be best, but im on vacation (yay!) for a week.

to make things clear:
-i do not care about verticle viewing angle. ill be sitting in front of it no matter what.
-id preferf vibrant colors and fantastic contrast.
- needs to be fast enough to run MMOs and FPSs without noticeable blur/distortion/lag.
- under or around 300$
-around 24" (ill hopefully get another monitor later on, so it needs to b small enough to fit two or more on my desk :D )


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
So you saw this in person and it looked great? Ill have to go look at it when I get home.

I've owned two of the 27" version and I literally had one complaint: the speakers (and any audio output plugged into the monitor) will hum if brightness is lowered from max. This happens on all versions of this monitor. Workarounds are to use your soundcard/mobo audio instead of HDMI audio, or to keep brightness at max. The hum is minor and most can't hear it over the sound you're supposed to hear, but it's there if there's no other sounds. It's horrid over headphones.

So, if that's my only complaint (and certainly one that someone can live with), why did I return them? Well, I exchanged the first for the second which confirmed that the problem was inherent to the series, not just one. I then saw that the 350 series was essentially the same monitor minus the speakers for about $100 less, so I exchanged for that. Big mistake as the cheaper 350 series has major backlight bleed. I then tried an Asus and the BenQ VA panel for something different and settled on the BenQ. I loved the BenQ before it went defective, but always wanted my 550 back.

So right now I'm waiting the LG IPS7 series to come out. I'll then compared it to the 550 and get the best one between the two for my needs. At this time my bet is on the 550.
 
Back
Top