• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Best 2.1 Combo Handsdown.

question, are the klipsch GMX A-2.1's a lot worse than the promedias or just slight worse. I'm just wondering because I'd rather get the GMXs since I think they look better, but don't want to throw away a lot of sound quality.
 
thanks for all the input - plus the input of my crappy ECS board.
you get what you pay for!

anybody hear the altec lansing MX5021 in person yet? I've been trying to search for them at circuit city haven't found one on display! heard some good stuff about them. (not to mention their sexy looks)

i'm not really interested in the EV sonics..simply because of their looks. Yes - I'm sure they are bad ass for the price and quality but I'm looking at style/quality. :)


Does the m-audio card sound that bad in games? I mean I have a TBSC and I'm sure its better than it.
Can anyone comment on this?

ANy more votes for anything else? Will I even notice a sound difference from a TBSC/Altec Lansing 621?
 
Originally posted by waterboy787
i'm not really interested in the EV sonics..simply because of their looks. Yes - I'm sure they are bad ass for the price and quality but I'm looking at style/quality. :)
You're dead right to look elsewhere, then. Unless you'd pick the looks of a Peavey half-stack over a B&W Nautilus, these things have a face only a mother could love. :D

Fortunately, I'm a "function over form" kinda guy, and a bargain-hunter, to boot (hence MY crappy ECS board!).
 
Originally posted by Hal|9k
If you really want to do the job you need an alloy foil with high nickel content. It's not cheap, though. I'll see if I can dig up some links, and if anyone has had any experience with this, please chime in!
The "standard" method of doing after-market shielding is to epoxy a bucking magnet roughly 2/3 the size of the woofer's magnet to the rear of the woofer's magnet in opposite polarity (they should repulse each other until very close together). Full shielding requires that you do the above, but add a steel can to cover the whole magnet assembly.

The thing you're talking about with the foil can work in general, but bucking magnet + steel can is the standard method for speakers. Some of that foil can be found here.
 
Does anyone own/have any input on Logitech's Z-2200 set? The only place I have found it for sale is on Amazon.com but I've read some pretty good reviews on them.

Are they any match to Klipsch Promedia 2.1? They seem almost identical..
 
Originally posted by jamezzz122
I went to my cousin's house for a bit and saw that he had some Acoustic Authority 2.1s...They were pretty decent and had good bass...

Anyone ever hear of them?
Acoustic Authority is a sub-brand of Cyber Acoustics. There are two models, the 3640's (110 watts) and 3780's (180 watts) and both are 2.1. I have the 3780's and they sound great for the price.
 
Originally posted by Muffin Man
Does anyone own/have any input on Logitech's Z-2200 set? The only place I have found it for sale is on Amazon.com but I've read some pretty good reviews on them.

I got them today, upgrading from the z340s. They are great, I cant say I have any complaints. And the control panel is very convenient. A friend of mine owns the ProMedias, and I'd tend to agree that there is ever-so-slightly better sound in some music with the Klipsch; however, I love that the Logitech's bass is enormous without ever needing to take it up past 50%, and after equalizer adjustments these things are the perfect deal if you catch them on a good sale.
 
Just ordered a set of the LOGITECH THX Z-2200 from newegg.com $129.00 with free shipping :)
 
Not sure about the sounds card, but I know for 2.1, the I-Trigue 3500 is off the hook. The design looks nice, and the sounds is thumpin. Highly recommended.
 
Originally posted by Hal|9k
...if the Promedia 2.1 gets a "ten" rating then the EVs get a solid "8.5". Maybe even a "9" after break-in. We'll see.
Yep. These things warrant a 9 for sound now that they're broken in.

I finally added a shelf to my hutch for the left sat. A shelf with an extra metal buttress, I might add, because these bastids are heavy! Now that the sats are set up right, the sound stage is even better (of course) and I'm really enjoying them. The Promedias have a slight edge in treble smoothness and are a shade better in midrange clarity, but these SonicXS's are overall excellent PC speakers. Oh, and they rock pretty hard, too. The transition from sats to sub is pretty seamless with most music and you can really turn them up LOUD and clear. One drawback, besides sheer mass, is that these suckers tell on poorly encoded mp3s in a heartbeat. It kinda sucks because I have mp3s that I like that I can't listen to on these speakers. :p I guess that's a good problem to have...

Oh, yeah. Check this out. With a certain pair of Koss headphones plugged into the right sat's input and held just right, I can actually pick up a local radio station and hear it coming through the sats while the PC sounds are coming out of the headphones! Pretty weird, huh? I think it has something to do with the weather system coming through right now because it hasn't happened before tonight.

All in all, though, this was the best $60 I've spent in a while. If you missed the CompUSA deal, you missed out on some great sounding speakers at a just plain stupidly low price.
 
Back
Top