Belkin Router Mess

Ehren8879

Supreme [H]ardness
Many if not all Belkin router owners woke this morning to no internet.

The issue appears to be related to their heartbeat servers not responding to router keepalives.

There's only speculation at this time what the issue is on Belkin's side. Some are saying a botched update, others are saying a security breach.

What a dumbass way to operate them. Requiring a heartbeat back to Belkin? WTF for.

Heard reports of ISPs adding a loopback with the IP the routers use allows them to function again.

Friends don't let friends use Belkin. That which shall not be named.

What a dumbass way to operate them. Requiring a heartbeat back to Belkin? WTF for.

Heard reports of ISPs adding a loopback with the IP the routers use allows them to function again.

A loopback is how I fixed the issue for my customers.

Linksys aka Cisco before they sold to Belkin (lol) tried doing the same stupid shit and now Belkin seems to carry on thinking it's a great idea. Cisco got ate alive after there dumbass cloud idea and rightfully so. The last thing you want is a physical and important device like a router going through the fucking cloud to manage it and or cause an unnecessary middle-man that adds another point of failure. Not including all kinds of security risks.

So if I understand this right. If the ping back doesn't reply the whole damn thing ceases to function? That brilliant. Sounds like a particular brand of firewall one of our techs used to deal with in the education field, when the wan put got saturated to 80% or so it would just ignore all the filtering rules and allow everything until it was reset. Brilliant!

I had a 90 year old retired partner from my company call this morning about his internet being out. Didn't see these reports hit the web until about 2 hours after I just said F it and put in a different router for him. Even then the dns adjustment didn't fix it.

to be honest i've never had any issues in the 4 years i've been using my belkin N600 HD up until the last couple days, may of been related to what happened last night or just a 1 in a million chance my router started dying at the exact same time as this but i was able to fix it by turning off the 5Ghz portion so who knows haven't touched it since yesterday but maybe i'll have to later today.

Last edited:
Back