Battle.net/Lan Networking Problem

askyrie

n00b
I have internet going into the main computer and I use that comp to share internet to my other computers through Internet Connection Sharing in WinXP.

I can forward port 6112 to one of the other computers and allow it to host games on Battle.net with other people joining, but nobody else on the network can join. Everyone can join just fine on a private LAN game.

I disabled all the firewalls including the default winXP ones. It's not possible for me to rearrange the network. I'm hoping maybe there are settings or some networking components that I need to install.

Please help!

I would turn the firewall on for the gateway PC pronto. You've probably already got problems unless you're a patching demon. Meanwhile. I will try to think of a good way to do this, but im feeling pretty crappy right now, so I can't think of anything right away.

I can forward port 6112 to one of the other computers and allow it to host games on Battle.net with other people joining, but nobody else on the network can join. Everyone can join just fine on a private LAN game.
This is a curious artifact of forwarding. Basically what's happening is:

Machine A hosts the game. Tells Battle.net that the game is running on IP address 24.24.24.24 (for simplicity). That is the address of your gateway -- Machine A is actually 10.0.0.10.

Machine B, which is 10.0.0.11, contacts Battle.net, and finds the game on 24.24.24.24. It doesn't know that the game is actually on the LAN, and sends the info to the gateway machine. The gateway machine knows that the port in question 24.24.24.24 actually maps to 10.0.0.10 -- which causes problems. I don't know of many current gateways that will port forward packets back into the network that the packet came from.

The only solution I've ever come up with: run a second LAN for the PC hosting the Battle.net server. Either that, or see if telling the Battle.net clients that the game they want to join is on 10.0.0.10 works -- I've never used Battle.net, so I don't know. (i.e. In the Battle.net client, join a LAN game, and you might need to hard-code the address, but I'm not sure.)

If that doesnt work, change the ports on the other machines, you can use anything but blizzard reccomends 6112-6200 (UDP)

Huh? Maybe I'm missing something, but how would that change anything?

Specfically if you are using Warcraft III, you can change the UDP Port the program uses to connect to Battle.net and play on lan games, me and my bro play on the same network, I have mine setup to run 6112, and his on 6113, so that we can both host and join games at will.

I've tried giving the other computer a different port under Warcraft III Game option and it doesn't work. What bleb explains makes a lot of sense but i'm looking for a way around it.

The only difference between my network and the normal household network is that I go through WinXP's Internet Connection Sharing to give internet to the other computers instead of using a DSL/Cable Router's NAT.

Here's a clearer picture of my network..

Main Computer -- 69.69.100.20
ICS
I
I
I
Comp1- 192.168.0.1
Comp2- 192.168.0.2
Comp3- 192.168.0.3

I forward port 6112-6119 to Comp1 and it can host Bnet games with people outside joining but Comp2 and Comp3 cannot join.

What bleb explains makes a lot of sense but i'm looking for a way around it.
I'm not sure there /is/ a way around it, unfortunately.

I forward port 6112-6119 to Comp1 and it can host Bnet games with people outside joining but Comp2 and Comp3 cannot join.
If Comp1 hosts a Battle.net game, can Comp2 and Comp3 join it as a LAN game? Again, I've never used the software, so I don't know, but there's a possibility that, since they're all on the same LAN, they can join it as a LAN game. Once they're in, it really shouldn't make a difference from the game POV.

Your final option is to run the server off of Main Computer; the one running ICS. That way, since there's no actual port forwarding going on, everything should work just hunky-dory.

Back