Battle damage for the team

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
I was working on my 3rd box, a 1 ghz Dell, and I had a little problem. The SmartFanII on my Volcano 9 wouldn't run at any speed other than 5,500 rpm. It was driving me nuts, so I tried to remove the thing that controls the speed. Well, I got my knuckle into that fan. I busted a blade off the damn fan, and it just about cut me to the bone. I have 2 nasty cuts and a big chunk of my skin missing. It started bleeding uncontrollably in the shower for about 20 minutes. I'd take pics, but my cam is dead, sorry. :( Since I don't have a backup CPU fan, I'm going to have to hold off on the third box until I can figure out cooling. Perhaps substitute a 550 mhz PIII in for the 1 ghz PIII (or get both up and running). I'm going to get $20 tonight for cleaning stuff up, so I might go get a new SmartFan II and a Volcano 11 low profile HSF (all copper). I'm going ot get seriously pissed if this gets infected.

BTW, I still have the fin that did the worst damage to me. I'm going to burn it later.

Anyone else have any neat or nasty stories from working on boxen?

finger.jpg

There, I used my crapcam to get that screenshot of my finger. THe one in the middle is the one that is super deep.

Hmm

What's the socket type that you need a replacement heastink/fan for?

if you have an even number of fins on the fan you could just break off the one on the opposite side to the one that is allready broken for now.

Originally posted by el bob
Hmm

What's the socket type that you need a replacement heastink/fan for?

FCPGA 370 I already have a fan in the works. I think I'm going to use a generic 80mm fan if it'll fit. I already have the screws. The HS itself is fine still, and for this PIII, it's absolute overkill.

if you have an even number of fins on the fan you could just break off the one on the opposite side to the one that is allready broken for now.

Sorry man, I've NEVER EVER used a fan with even numbers of blades. That has pissed me off so many times, and has resulted in me having to buy several new fans. Standard fans have 3, 5, 7, 9 or another odd number of fins. I think it has something to do with balencing, not with screwing users over. It's much easier to balance a 3 blade fan than balancing a 4 blade one. :)

Besides, the remains of that fan have some sever road rash now, if you know what I mean. ;)

BTW, in that picture, the middle cut where the black is, is slanted. Otherwise, it would have gone all the way to the bone. I was lucky, I guess.

try sticking your finger in a 120mm high speed delta fan... that almost removed my finger :eek:

but the delta/sunon screamers are quite dangerous

i now have finger guards on both sides of all my dangerous fans... and none of those fancy-look at the giant holes in me finger guards, the real chrome ones that are like impossible to stick a finger through

Working on boxen can be dangerous....

Remember the mojo.

:D

Originally posted by FLECOM
try sticking your finger in a 120mm high speed delta fan... that almost removed my finger :eek:

but the delta/sunon screamers are quite dangerous

i now have finger guards on both sides of all my dangerous fans... and none of those fancy-look at the giant holes in me finger guards, the real chrome ones that are like impossible to stick a finger through

Actually, I have a 120 mm (I have 3 of them) fan that rotates at about 7,000 rpm and has very very sharp fins. It's from a Dell server, and is louder than most 80 mm deltas, and moves about 190 cfm. I have a scar still from a finger entering that fan, there was blood everywhere. I ruined a computer at school because my finger got cut in that SOB fan and it blew blood all over the mainboard in that computer. It stopped on my finger nail, leaving a dent and permantly reshaped my entire fingernail. That was one of the most painful things that ever happened to me. I now have fanguards on those fans. I also have a 3 blade fan that spins at about 8,000 rpm, also a 120 mm server fan. I stuck a finger in there, got a bruise, but it is really rounded and didn't cut at all. I perfer that fan, thicker plastic and less noise, plus another 20 cfm over the other fans. I don't need fan guards on it, and it doesn't seem to inhale as many bugs.

actually im like 99% sure that the fans in the dell's are deltas... depends on the model tho

actually im like 99% sure that the fans in the dell's are deltas... depends on the model tho

Wouldn't surprise me. The back label reads 'NMB' for the company, model is 4715KL-04W-B49

Heh, it's bleeding again... Oh well.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Wouldn't surprise me. The back label reads 'NMB' for the company, model is 4715KL-04W-B49

Heh, it's bleeding again... Oh well.

ah ok, NMB, ya a lot of the dells use those also...

they are all pretty much the same anyway... the "volcanos" are just rebadged sunon's, which are a complete ripoff of the deltas...

and ya my dells are pretty loud but not too bad, but the fans in my dell are well protected from stray fingers

ah ok, NMB, ya a lot of the dells use those also...

they are all pretty much the same anyway... the "volcanos" are just rebadged sunon's, which are a complete ripoff of the deltas...

and ya my dells are pretty loud but not too bad, but the fans in my dell are well protected from stray fingers

I only had SmartFanII because of the controller. Yeah, I could hook it up to a POT, bu really, what's the point? It comes with one, less setup.

With a replacement fan, I now have my PIII dell up and running. :) Ahhh, folding at last. ;)

I haven't been using any 120 mm fans except the old metal one I found a while ago in a pile of computers. Silent computers, all three folding. 6 ghz of folding now, I'm up to.

Back