Battery backup question

jrg70

Weaksauce
I've got an existing Battery Backup from APC (ES-500), but it doesn't work with my current system. According to the APC website wizard it should but during tests the system just shuts down when the power is cut.

This is my current set-up (everything stock, no overclocking):
Asus P5E motherboard
Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz
2 x 2GB DDR2 800
BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB
Corsair 520HX 520 watt PSU
1 each SATA drive
1 each DVD±R Burner
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
(The only thing I see changing would be doubling the RAM and Windows 7 64-bit)

Is anybody running a similar set-up, and can recommend a good battery backup device?
I would not have anything else serviced by the battery; no monitor, etc. Just the Tower.

My existing battery backup works for my Windows Home Server. So I will let that unit service only the server and get a new one for my work station.

If it's shutting off power to powered devices when you unplug the main power it's broken. You don't need any management software or the UPS even connected to the PC for the UPS to do its job. It should continue to provide power until the battery is exhausted. Are you connecting the management interface to the computer and it's shutting down immediately when it's on battery power, or does the machine just cut off when you unplug mains power? If the former, this is just configuration. If the latter, your UPS is probably broken or undersized (though I doubt that's the case with your described system, it might be a little small for good runtime, but should work fine).

The sealed lead-acid batteries in those only last 3-5 years and will do exactly as you describe when the battery goes bad. I've had this happen without getting the bad/check battery light on the UPS.

They are fairly cheap and easy to change if you determine that is the cause.

Back