barracuda users, read this

Fint

[H]ard|Gawd
We are shopping for a new anti-spam filter, and everyone seems to rave about the Barracuda. Our current anti-spam applicance allows us to set very customizable rules, to either delete, allow, or isolate emails; we can then use a web page to view the isolate emails, and either release or delete them. I assume the Barracuda can do the same thing?

i am expecting my barracudas on friday. if you get the 300 model or above you will be able to use an outlook plugin that puts a spam quarantine folder in each user's mailbox. they can sort through there for their emails. i believe they also can move emails to a spam or ham subfolder so the bayesian filter in your barracuda starts learning.

if you get the 200 model you will have a single central spam quarantine that you will have to manage. people will have to call you saying they are expecting an email that never arrived and then you'll have to sort through the quarantine for it.

i'm not sure what sort of rules you can build with the barracuda if any, though i don't feel a strong need to have this capability. first of all, building your own rules can take a lot of time and net few rewards. i'd rather have a bayesian filter that can learn the difference between spam and ham itself. also, i'd rather have a good base set of rules provided by the vendor which get updated regularly. last, but not least, i'd like to have the ability to use RBLs. the barracuda has all of these. on top of that it has 2 different virus scanning engines.

again, i'm not expert and have no hands-on experience with barracudas. but like, you i heard only raves about the product and did some research.

We have a barracuda 300; It does pretty much everything you are concerned about.

bigdaddyfatsacks is *almost* correct.

It doesn't create a seperate outlook folder, but it creates an account on the barracuda for the users quarantine. (There is an outlook plugin that is essentially a bayesian trainer... "Mark As Spam / Not Spam" type of thing)

The user accesses the quarantine via the web interface, and from their they can choose to whitelist a sender, delete, deliver, and so on.

It automatically creates the account (if you have it set to) and then sends the user an E-mail with the information.

You can also setup a report / reminder e-mail to users, letting them know how many messages they have in Quarantine. (I believe they can get daily reports, weekly or never)

It's pretty thorough, and it has A LOT in the way of filtering / scanning. You can also add global filters, like subjects, body, attachments, etc.

The reason I want to be able to do it is thus; my users are stupid. And by stupid, I don't mean "not a uber-l33t hax0r", I mean "dumb as a rock, can barely use a mouse, I'm-suprised-they-can-manage-to-dress-themselves stupid". I don't trust them enough to allow them to teach the filter what is spam and what isn't.

So, can the admin decided what is spam/ham, and train it that way, or do the Lusers have to do it?

Fint said:
The reason I want to be able to do it is thus; my users are stupid. And by stupid, I don't mean "not a uber-l33t hax0r", I mean "dumb as a rock, can barely use a mouse, I'm-suprised-they-can-manage-to-dress-themselves stupid". I don't trust them enough to allow them to teach the filter what is spam and what isn't.

So, can the admin decided what is spam/ham, and train it that way, or do the Lusers have to do it?

You can do it from the admin page.
You can also access any users Quarantine as an admin.

TO be honest with you, my users are similar to yours... The way I have our barracuda setup though, it's catching everything that is spam... I haven't had a false positive yet. (been in operation 4 months now)

Also note that our business relies HEAVILY on "unannounced" senders and all language formats, so this was a huge concern for us.

We have our setup so ONLY administrators can change the filters and score settings, the users basically don't have a clue whats going on.

man, i'm getting excited to get ours in! btw, if you don't want the users doing things themselves you might be all set with the 200 model for a bit cheaper. btw, your VAR should be able to give you a much better price than what's listed on the barracuda site.

Does the Barracuda do both in and out-bound email on one box? We like to keep a tab on what types of attachments our users are sending out, as well as file size.

Fint said:
Does the Barracuda do both in and out-bound email on one box? We like to keep a tab on what types of attachments our users are sending out, as well as file size.

No, it's only an in-bound mail scanner

Fint said:
they have released an "outbound edition" product. it is the same price as the normal one. i'm getting both in here so i should have some feedback for you in a couple of weeks.

Back