Barracuda to Xonar ?

2Fresh

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 10, 2003
Messages
3,767
I have been out of the loop for a bit when it comes to sound on pc (shit, and much more =P) Anyway, I really just listen to tunes on this rig, as it is my home one and I rather spend the time with the family :). I have been reading a little about the Xonar and am curious if anyone has switched and noticed a diff. I am happy now with the Razer and Klipsch Ultra 5.1's, but if there is better I would like to know. FPS is no factor. Just sound quality.


EDIT: Guess I should ask for any other opinion on a SC for tunes :)


Thanks guys :)
 
Yeah, they literally use almost the identical chipset for audio. There is a minor difference in some of the other components but it's not worth the money.

I have a Xonar D2X in one PC and a Barracuda in the other, they both sound *great*, but I probably wouldn't be able to pick one from the other... I'd probably just be doing it based on the quality of the speakers plugged in. (had to get a D2X as I needed a PCI Express card and at the time that's all that existed)
 
Cool, that is what is was thinking. Just wanted to hear it from others. :)
 
If they are the same card, wouldn't it be far better to get the barracuda as its usually 1/2 the price of the xonar?
 
For most things, they are fairly equivalent. The Xonar comes with a nice software bundle, a lot more cables, and does have some minor functionality differences. (the analog loopback audio, etc)

For most people, either card is basically equivalent, so yeah-- if you could find a good deal on the Barracuda, go for it.
 
Back
Top