banning a website

phiquach

Limp Gawd
Ok so i want to ban MYSPACE from being accessed. my bro is too addicted to that crap. i blocked it off my router but he just uses the wireless and connects to a neighbors internet and access it. is there anyway i can block it someone how his computer?

go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc and edit the 'hosts' file
add the line
64.233.187.99 www.myspace.com

this kinda overrids a dns server. when you go to a page, I guess windows looks at this file first, it if finds a record, it will use it...else it asks a dns server. So, by entering the above into the 'hosts' file...it will look like you are going to myspace...but you are infact going to google.

it is also funny.

Yeah, but i think you can still get there with http://myspace.com or http://<something>/myspace.com. It also won't block the google cache.

I think a router's parental controls might be what you need, you can normally filter urls by keyword such as *.myspace.*

log in to his neightbors router. if it is unsecure chances are it has a defualt password and block myspace from your neighbors router also.

or if you want to by nice about it locate the neighbor that has the open network and go and tell him that his router is unsecure and tell him how to set up wpa.

This should do it:

64.233.187.99 blog.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 browseusers.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 chat.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 classifieds.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 collect.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 creative.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 events.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 favorites.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 forum.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 groups.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 i.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 invite.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 login.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 messaging.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 movies.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 myspace.com
64.233.187.99 onlinenow.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 profile.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 search.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 signup.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 vids.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 viewmorepics.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 www.myspace.com
64.233.187.99 x.myspace.com

afterwards:
ipconfig /flushdns

reboot the system. :)

He can still go to http://216.178.32.51, but it wont be of much use when you consider that myspace uses absolute paths.

define addicted and why you should be his keeper. you reasoning just sounds off the cuff - you just don't like it and think that his time spent on it is wasted. If it's not interfering with the normal functioning of his life/your parents aren't concerned and asking you to do this, then I'm not sure what right you have to do it.

da sponge said:
define addicted and why you should be his keeper. you reasoning just sounds off the cuff - you just don't like it and think that his time spent on it is wasted. If it's not interfering with the normal functioning of his life/your parents aren't concerned and asking you to do this, then I'm not sure what right you have to do it.

that has no impact on OP's question whatsoever, "why" is up to him & his family to figure out, "how" is what he asked...

PS: just like watching retarded tv reality shows I think myspace.com is the cancer of the internet, I would love for them to get sued into submission and cease to exist :p

and to offer some advice, offer your neighbor to secure his router for free , problem solved and you get a friendlier neighbor that I am sure will understand your current problem and should be glad to let you do it.

With some luck you should be able to do mac filtering and disallow your bro's NIC in your neighbors router if he's dead set on having it unsecured

zrac said:
that has no impact on OP's question whatsoever, "why" is up to him & his family to figure out, "how" is what he asked...

PS: just like watching retarded tv reality shows I think myspace.com is the cancer of the internet, I would love for them to get sued into submission and cease to exist :p

Right, we should just blindly answer everyone's questions irrespective of context.

Dew said:
This should do it:
64.233.187.99 blog.myspace.com
<snip>
That ip isn't goat.se is it? Now that'd be pretty funny (depending on the brother's age.)

da sponge said:
Right, we should just blindly answer everyone's questions irrespective of context.

Unless they violate rules of the board... then yes, or don't bother replying IMHO

you can't imagine 1000 reasons why an older brother would want to block myspace to his younger brother ??? we don't know their ages, they could be 18 and 10, and it's not like you can get away with it without parents knowing so what's the big deal ? you know the second that younger brother finds out he can't get on myspace he's bitching to his parents that will just deal with it in whatever way they think is right.

I don't see any problem with his original question

Use 127.0.0.1 instead. He'll just think the site is down like it is every other day anyway.

DragonNOA1 said:
Use 127.0.0.1 instead. He'll just think the site is down like it is every other day anyway.

yeah, or make a fake myspace page on your site, to make it look like they are having technical difficulties :D

besides, facebook FTW...I can have civil web browsing experiences with my cousins, instead of the retna burning myspace pages.

/rant

back OT

Back