bandwidth being robbed .. plz help

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
ive been running apache for a while now and here recently my connection has been maxing out leaving my server almost pinging out all the time. i found out apache 2 was conflicting with my machine so i went to the 1.3 again and it worked great. then i got another leecher or something and its literally robbing every byte of bandwidth i have causing my downloads to be slow as well.

i have totally uninstalled/reinstalled my firewall, redone my network settings, done everything i can think of and it boils down to someone leeching. ive installed kerio personal firewall to seewhihc prog is hogging bandwidth and sure enough it was apache.

i got a prog to limit the bandwidth of each prog *netlimiter* but the trial ran out and it still has registry entries so i can reinstall *still says trial is up* can someone help me? i need to find whose the moocher and how to block them, or find a way to limit bandwidth during times i know i will be needing my bandwidth.

does anyone know of some progs that wil help my situation? i run the XP firewall and HAD norton internet security, kerio personal firewall, and currently zone alarm. which of these is my best option?

TIA

There's no linux machines anywhere in the link that you could use?
(Etherape would have worked nicely for visualizing who's pulling how much, but it's not available for windows.)

So someone is downloading something off your apache server, using up all of your upstream bandwidth?

Why not just move/remove what they are after?

XOR != OR said:
So someone is downloading something off your apache server, using up all of your upstream bandwidth?

Why not just move/remove what they are after?

This sounds reasonable to me as well. For a minute there I thought you meant someone was leaching off your wireless.

One last thing. Make sure your web server of choice is firmly patched and up to date. Its possible they're exploiting it in some manner and are pulling down more than what you intended to be accessible.

i would remove what they are after .... but i dont know what they are after. and i dont have a linux box b/c my roomy is using it with XP right now :S

MadJuggla9 said:
i would remove what they are after .... but i dont know what they are after. and i dont have a linux box b/c my roomy is using it with XP right now :S

Have you looked at the log files for your server?
They will show you the files and the IPs of the people that connect.

Malk-a-mite said:
Have you looked at the log files for your server?
They will show you the files and the IPs of the people that connect.

wow ... i overlooked that and it was very easy. i found that most peple are downloading my music videos, no wonder. other than that, its just forums stuff i have posted. im moving my music to my other HD anyways. is there a way i can block a range of IPs with apache?

btw i got netlimiter to work now. for another 30 days or so. after that ill probably register, this programs GUI is very nice.

Back