• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Bad video card?

Phaethar

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 13, 2002
Messages
92
Hey guys,

Had a question that I believe is being caused by a bad video card, but I wanted to confirm this.

First, some history: I had a BFG 6800GT PCI Express card that was overheating at stock speeds. Ok, set up an RMA, no problem. I received the new card this week, which turned out to be the dual DVI model instead of the single DVI and a single VGA connector version. Ah well, I still have my adapter, so I hook everything up, plug in my CRT monitor to the adapter and get going.

Here's where the problems started. Working in Windows is just fine, but playing any game will work for a couple minutes at most before the screen will go black, followed by a system reboot. When it reboots, I get a BIOS beep code that indicates a video initialization problem, and no picture. Windows will boot up again with no picture, but all sound still works. I have to power off the system and turn it back on to get a picture back.

I thought at first maybe it was a driver problem, because I'd been using a different card while my card was on RMA. So, since it was still a new install, I just re-installed XP again. Same thing... play a few minutes and the screen goes out. BIOS code beeps, and no pic unless I power the entire system off.

I put in the temp card (MSI 6600GT) back in. Same drivers, same setup, just swapped cards. No problems now.

So, I believe the card BFG sent me, besides being the wrong model, is also not working right, but before I RMA another card I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.
 
Did you do any overclocking with third party programs that are still running and thinking its the same card?
 
Nope, never overclocked the card. Like I said, I even did a fresh install of Windows with the replacement card, just in case.
 
weird if the 6600gt works and that one doesn't I would contact BFG about it before rma again but it sure sounds like it's a bad card or ur mobo has some weird issue.
 
You'd think that if the mobo was the issue here though, I would have some issues with the 6600GT card too. I never saw anything like this with the original 6800GT card either, which is what was leading me to believe that this new card is the problem.

I'll give BFG a call tonight after work. I was hoping to see if this issue had come up for anyone else, so I could say almost for sure that it's a card issue.
 
You're right to suspect the video card - its the culprit. Get an RMA. It could be a couple of different things with your card, but none of them are things which you can fix.
 
Back
Top