Bad email system at work need help reconfiguring it

PoleVault

Weaksauce
I work at a small business with a terrible email setup.

Here is how it works:
There are about 6 people with email accounts that look like "NAME"@rcaissons.com. This is the incoming mail server (pop.bizmail.yahoo.com). The outgoing mail server is: [email protected] (smtp.hughes.net). So I need to use [email protected] to send messages, but we all receive messages on "NAME"@rcaissons.com. And of course when someone replys to a message it goes to the outgoing email and gets lost.

I'm not sure why we have it set up this way other than to keep the domain name @rcaissons.com
I think we also want to send through hughes.net

Is there anyway to set this up so we can just send and receive emails with our domain emails and just have one account?

thanks~

You probably have it setup that way because your ISP blocks SMTP traffic except for their mail servers. (Common for SBC Yahoo)

in outlook, for outgoing mail server, just put in the email account and password, it will still look like it came from the correct address.

not the best idea though as your outgoing IP will not be linked to your domain name.

Have a look at mailsite. Its free for 20 mailboxes.

Some ISPs will eventually block mail from your server

I am finally on to the feedback loop system and am able to send mail to AOL again!

Just incase anyone here is ever in the same issue as I was.

add a new subdomain A record to you domain DNS eg

outmail IN A "your IP"

this will give you....

outmail.yourdomain.com

Call up your ISP and request a rDNS to be setup for your IP to outmail.yourdomain.com (this can take upto 7 days)

Once this has been setup and propagated to the DNS setup a feedback loop with AOL here....

http://postmaster.aol.com

Make sure the only IPs you put into the request are "owned" by yourself. eg rDNS must relate to your domain (it will because you have already set this up with your ISP)

Once you are accepted you can then move on to their white list for bulk mail sending to AOL. It is important that you do this as it only takes less than 3% of your emails to be either flagged as spam by AOLs crappy spam filters or for a few users to report your email as spam (AOL users do some very odd things) for you to be blacklisted and if you have hundreds of users sending mail its only a matter of time.

No other ISP / mail service that I know requires that you do this.

It sounds like they just have a popmail setup. PTR's only need to be directed for the actual mail servers, which he didn't say they have.

No mail server, no IP DNS/PTR is needed

ISPs often segregate their consumer service from their more profitable business services by blocking email and web server protocols. You could talk to hughes.net about their business service or you might consider outsourcing your email to an email service provider. If you outsource your email, you simply use a web interface for accessing email which hughes.net won't block. Sometime your domain name registrar will host your email under your domain for you for like $20 - $30 per year for 5 - 10 accounts, that's kinda the going rate.

Back