Bad Axe 2 problems

mike860

n00b
I have my Q6600 OCed on my Bad Axe 2 to 3.0GHz (333 X 9). At this speed I can run four instances of Prime95 using the large FFT tests for 24+ hours. However, when I try to run the blend test with one thread to check for RAM stability, the test always fails after a few hours. I've RMAed my RAM for a brand that's on the Intel compatibility list for this board, and that didn't help. I've also tried running the blend test with the RAM under clocked and with the FSB and MCH voltages maxed out. I've also tried setting the reference frequency to 333 MHz, but no joy (I can't even boot if the RF is set to 333 and the RAM is set to 800 MHz).

I'm about ready to send this board back to Newegg. But before I do, I was wondering if anybody with a successful BA2 OC could tell me what settings they are using for their processor and memory so I can try them. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defective board since I've seen many reports of people hitting a FSB on a BA2 that's much higher than mine.

Thanks for your input.

Hey Mike,

I'm running 2 XBX2's with pretty good success. One has a E4300 and one has an E6600. I'm running Gskill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHK rated DDR2 800 @4-4-3-5 / 2.0v.
Running a 333 RF at 800 puts you at a 5/6 ratio on the 1333 strap and I think I read somewhere that this board doesn't like 5/6. I'm not 100% sure on that though. I run a 4/5 ratio on both PC's and it runs well on both.

This will sorta depend on what you have for RAM, but I'll give you both setups I'm using and maybe it'll help get you going from there. I run the memory on both at a RF of 266 and memory frequency of 667. That puts you at a 4/5 ratio. I've also tested at memory freq of 533 using the 266 RF as well which is a 1/1 ratio. You should make sure to set your memory timings loose to start. So here's my current settings, both systems are currently on bios 2507.

E4300 - vcore 1.375 | vfsb 1.375 | vmch 1.525 | FSB 345 | Ref Freq 266 | Mem Freq 667
That's my daily driver. This puts the ram speed at 865 so if your ram is not capable, try 533 Mem Freq.

E6600 - vcore 1.350 | vfsb 1.350 | vmch 1.525 | FSB 345 | Ref Freq 266 | Mem Freq 667
That's the wife unit's daily driver. This puts the ram speed at 865 so if your ram is not capable, try 533 Mem Freq.

Hopefully that will get you going in the right direction. These aren't the fastest boards around, but pretty stable and should run well for what you're running. If you're still havin problems, give me some more info on your system (bios, power supply, ram) and I'll try and help out. Obviously you've got "watchdog" turned off in the bios, as you're able to OC without crashes, make sure "power slope" is set to on as well. Also set your ram timings manually and NOT by SPD.

Cheers,
Bill

Back