Backup Utility

jrg70

Weaksauce
I'm looking for a good backup utility. The Vista Backup Utility is kind of odd. I used to have scheduled backups run at night and they would backup specific folders. You can't do that in the Vista backup. I'm not looking for anything too extreme, it's only for my home PC with digital pictures, videos and music and stuff. I'm backing up to an external WD drive.

Any good suggestions?

You could try something like SyncToy and schedule it...

That gives you flexibility to maintain a sync between two locations even.

Is this to protect from loss of data due to hard drive crashes or maintain an archive of data? If the latter, I don't think SyncToy does anything like that.

I think this has to be askked once a day, and yet no one searches for the answers!

Anywho, Synctoy is a good suggestion. SyncToy lets you create folder pairs, and schedule when the backups run...along with what type of backup it is.

What I used to do was create a batch file which would backup my stuff every X times VIA Task Scheduler.

Especially if you have multiple computers on a network, you simply cannot beat a Windows Home Server and it's backup system. It is as close to perfect as you'll ever find.

Unlike most (if not all) other backup systems, if your drive crashes or whatever, you can boot from the restore CD and restore your drive (or a replacement) from bare metal back to the way it was, using any nightly backup you want.

Back