B-Die Temps - 3800Mhz CL14 (14-16-16-36) XMP

sk3tch

2[H]4U
Hi all,

Snagged one of the dream mem kits for Zen3 off of eBay earlier this week and got it today (G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL14 - F4-3800C14D-32GTZN https://www.gskill.com/product/165/326/1605159977/F4-3800C14D-32GTZN) to pair with my 5800X3D (I know this CPU works just great with decent to junk mem but I got it at a pretty good price) - running PassMark MemTest86 V9.4 Pro with XMP enabled and because it's at 1.50V I'm seeing temps as high as 45 C during testing (this is open case but also no add'l fans installed).

Question is - do you guys use active cooling for mem like this or is 45 C "OK" assuming it fully passes all tests (after almost 4 hours no errors, yet). I've read that over 40 C and you can see errors and over 50 C things get really screwy - even though supposedly DDR4 is "safe" under 81 C...

If you use active cooling - what is best? Just a case fan or do you get some funky memory cooler?

Thanks!

EDIT: mem kit passed! Info on temps below...

3800_cl14.png

3800_cl14_passmark1.png

3800_cl14_passmark2.png

Last edited:
Cool info. I've heard great things about the G.Skill Trident. As for temps, 40-45 C isn't bad but I would be wary of going much above that. I've heard of some sticks giving errors the moment they hit 50 C. Others do fine reaching almost 60 under a stress test.
If the RAM sticks have good heat sinks, a case fan that moves air over them should be more than adequate unless you are doing some significant overclocking or overvolting. ThermalTake's Floe RC series AIO coolers handle the CPU and RAM modules without the need for any custom parts and I've heard they do it well. They're a bit pricey but not ridiculously expensive, and they look really cool, but like I said they're generally unnecessary unless you're doing some heavy overclocking or overvolting, or if there are no heat sinks like is the case with some low-profile sticks.

You can tighten sub timings further with lower temps is one of the main advantages but at XMP they will be extremely lose.
The largest gains to be had with high speed kits of RAM comes from tweaking the sub timings and I bet there is still a few programs that well and truly flood the cache and still get a boost from the higher RAM speed.
So if you want to get the most out of them aiming a bit of air there way will help but if not and they are stable you have nothing to worry about.

Cool info. I've heard great things about the G.Skill Trident. As for temps, 40-45 C isn't bad but I would be wary of going much above that. I've heard of some sticks giving errors the moment they hit 50 C. Others do fine reaching almost 60 under a stress test.
If the RAM sticks have good heat sinks, a case fan that moves air over them should be more than adequate unless you are doing some significant overclocking or overvolting. ThermalTake's Floe RC series AIO coolers handle the CPU and RAM modules without the need for any custom parts and I've heard they do it well. They're a bit pricey but not ridiculously expensive, and they look really cool, but like I said they're generally unnecessary unless you're doing some heavy overclocking or overvolting, or if there are no heat sinks like is the case with some low-profile sticks.
You can tighten sub timings further with lower temps is one of the main advantages but at XMP they will be extremely lose.
The largest gains to be had with high speed kits of RAM comes from tweaking the sub timings and I bet there is still a few programs that well and truly flood the cache and still get a boost from the higher RAM speed.
So if you want to get the most out of them aiming a bit of air there way will help but if not and they are stable you have nothing to worry about.
Thank you to you both.

With XMP I am getting pretty bad latency - I am scoring about 72ns in AIDA64.

Here is my ZenTimings:
ZenTimings_Screenshot.png

I am a noob when it comes to memory OC - any "easier" changes that I can make to get myself down into the 55ns range. Not looking to break records just want a solid daily.

First up your RAM is out of sync so you need to get it running 1:1 with the IF 1900\1900\1900 but this may give WHEA errors (Use OCCT CPU stability test to find out) depending on your CPU\MB if so you can ether chose to disable error reporting to get rid of the performance hit from logging the WHEA errors or lower the RAM\IF speed to 3733 or 3600 if you have to.

Give these a go. It is possible these settings wont post on your system so save your current BIOS first and be ready to have to reset it.
You will want to set all these at once except the bottom center four tCKE-tSTAG.
Also depending on your MB the ProcODT may be too low so play around with values between 30 and the 43.6 you are running now.
timings.jpg

If that works for you and you want to try a little more you could try disable GDM with Cmd 2T and if that works you could push for 1T which will probably require AddrCmdSetup 56 to post.

Test for stability with TM5
https://www.overclock.net/threads/memory-testing-with-testmem5-tm5-with-custom-configs.1751608/
1usmus_v3.cfg is best for working out problems as there is some guidance as to what the errors mean https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...24-7-memory-stability-thread.1628751/page-304
You may need to tweak the .cfg to run 20 passes as it should take ~2-3 hours to complete i you want to be sure it is stable.

Last edited:
First up your RAM is out of sync so you need to get it running 1:1 with the IF 1900\1900\1900 but this may give WHEA errors (Use OCCT CPU stability test to find out) depending on your CPU\MB if so you can ether chose to disable error reporting to get rid of the performance hit from logging the WHEA errors or lower the RAM\IF speed to 3733 or 3600 if you have to.

Give these a go. It is possible these settings wont post on your system so save your current BIOS first and be ready to have to reset it.
You will want to set all these at once except the bottom center four tCKE-tSTAG.
Also depending on your MB the ProcODT may be too low so play around with values between 30 and the 43.6 you are running now.
View attachment 477923
If that works for you and you want to try a little more you could try disable GDM with Cmd 2T and if that works you could push for 1T which will probably require AddrCmdSetup 56 to post.

Test for stability with TM5
https://www.overclock.net/threads/memory-testing-with-testmem5-tm5-with-custom-configs.1751608/
1usmus_v3.cfg is best for working out problems as there is some guidance as to what the errors mean https://www.overclock.net/threads/o...24-7-memory-stability-thread.1628751/page-304
You may need to tweak the .cfg to run 20 passes as it should take ~2-3 hours to complete i you want to be sure it is stable.

First off - thank you. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day for a random Internet stranger to toss some tips out.

Everything booted up and looked great:

mem_oc_05282022.png

But then the errors started right away with TestMem5. :(

TestMem2.png

tRCDRD is probably too tight and will need to be dropped to 15 but before you do that.

tRP should be 14 not 16
tRAS 30 not 36
Try ClkDrvStr 30-40

It has been a few months since I tooled around with my RAM and I am afraid I have forgotten a few things that may have helped.

Edit: ok I think that if you need to lower tRCDRD these changes should be enough to keep the rules in line so that nothing else needs re calculating.
tRCDWR 8
tRCDRD 15
tRP 13

Just noticed it looks like your CLDO VDDP is very high try dropping it down to ~900-950mv.
You may also gain stability with 1150mV VSoC (Up to 1.2v is considered fine)

If that fails try set tRTP and tRDWR back to auto.

Last edited:
tRCDRD is probably too tight and will need to be dropped to 15 but before you do that.

tRP should be 14 not 16
tRAS 30 not 36
Try ClkDrvStr 30-40

It has been a few months since I tooled around with my RAM and I am afraid I have forgotten a few things that may have helped.

Edit: ok I think that if you need to lower tRCDRD these changes should be enough to keep the rules in line so that nothing else needs re calculating.
tRCDWR 8
tRCDRD 15
tRP 13

Just noticed it looks like your CLDO VDDP is very high try dropping it down to ~900-950mv.
You may also gain stability with 1150mV VSoC (Up to 1.2v is considered fine)

If that fails try set tRTP and tRDWR back to auto.
Thank you!

Got this result with XMP plus fCLK at 1900MHz (while I was waiting) - does this mean stable?

mem_oc_05292022.png

ZenTimings_Screenshot2.png

It means the RAM is stable OCCT CPU stress test may still show WHEA errors from the CPU IF being at 1900 which can impact performance.

It means the RAM is stable OCCT CPU stress test may still show WHEA errors from the CPU IF being at 1900 which can impact performance.
Passed 2 hours of OCCT mem test!

Now to get to work on the latest recs that you sent. Thanks!

EDIT: I see I need the CPU test - will do that next!

EDIT: passed 2 hours of the CPU test, too.

EDIT: went a step further and got the Platinum Stability Certificate. :) https://www.ocbase.com/stabilityCertificate/62958f037402ff793fafb753

OCCT-20220529-225731-Memory.png

OCCT-20220530-092556-CPUOCCT.png

Last edited:
Back