averatec 5110...how are these?

BCpowder

Gawd
Well, i work at office depot, and since 99% of our customers are old people who like to stick to their "HP and gateway brands", i've watched this averatec slowly go down from 1499$ and now its found its way to 999$ :eek:, and we have 8 left :), anyway, has anyone had experience with these overall? seems like a cant go wrong deal to me, you get 512, 40gb, wifi, dvd burner, centrino, all the good stuff...

and with my employee discount im looking at 899$ for the machine...cant get any hotter than that...

so any advice? opinons? etc etc

thanks

i've been looking at getting on of these possibley, the only poor things i've heard is that the screen doesn't look as good as some, and the build quality is nothing to write home about, but still up to par with sager/dell etc. not near an IBM though

they are total shit for games, intel extreme graphics shared memory.. omg.. jump off cliff, but for applications its great, makesure you upgrade to 1GB of ram and you should be ok

link to detailed specs

http://www.averatec.com/images/pdf/5110H.pdf

things that are a plus +

3 usb 2.0 ports (the more the better!)
built in wifi/lan/modem
2 pcmcia slots!! most lappys come with only 1 now
looks nice
light, thin
combo dvd.cdrw
5+ hour batt life, okay for a centrino great for a laptop

things that are a -

screen is kinda crappy, only xga but okay size
cpu is pentium M, will not be as good in games
onboard graphics and shared ram, this is suicide in games, will turn Unreal tournament into a slide show

I got mine a few months back. Agreed it is not the best for games, (I can still play morrowind at 800x600 ok).
Aplications it rocks, battery life is prime, It is a true 5 hr battery.
I love the nice sized HDD and the 3 usb ports is a BIG plus. I've got pen drives, wireless mouse, extra usb 802.11b network adapter (evil laugh), and all kinds of other goddies to plug in when I want.

Simply, if you not going to game, this is a prime lappy. Light, powerful, wifi enabled. You realy can't go wrong for under 1k.

I got my 5110P from Office Depot about a month ago and I'm extremely pleased. I paid $1200 and considered it an excellent deal then, but for a grand it's definitely worth it.

I play a lot of games, but never on my lappy. I've never even tried so I can't tell you how it is. What I do use, however, is MS Access, Dreamweaver, and MathCAD, (Plus Outlook and second mail program always running in the background, and usually MSIE2 as well) and for all these things it never breaks a sweat (not that I'd really expect it to).

Biggest +'s for me:

-Half a gig of ram, 40GB HD, built in wireless, DVD Burner, all for $1200 (or less!).
-Very thin, reasonably light
-Looks great
-Outstanding battery life
-I've really grown to like the scroll button centered below the touch pad. Simple and effective.
-3 USB ports plus firewire.
-Windows XP Pro. Most lappys in this price range come with XP Home.

Biggest -'s for me:
-Wireless card seems to get pretty warm on my lap sometimes after maybe half an hour of use
-Screen is nothing special. I'm happy with 1024x768, it's what I always use on all my machines, but it'd be nice to be able to go to a higher resolution some time.
-It has two backslash/pipe keys! There's a second one to the left of the space bar. What the hell?
-No TV out. My old lappy had a composite video out port, which I actually used fairly often. I'll learn to live without it, but it will be missed.

Back