• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AV-710 and My Setup

asyork

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 3, 2002
Messages
2,059
From what I have read, the AV-710 is a great card for the money. I just want to double-check with some more knowledgeable people here before I spend the cash.

I am using a 2 channel Panasonic stereo set with my computer right now. It's got the two speakers and the main unit that acts as the receiver/raido/CD player/tape player. These days I only use it for the aux-in from my comp. I plan on using it for gaming, music, and movies. I eventually want to get some headphones, but I will use the output from the stereo since I have heard that the AV-710 can have trouble driving some of the better headphones.

So, does this sound like a good idea, or do you have any other recommendations?
 
Compared to the onboard sound, av710 is really good, with virtually no noise. If all you care for is stereo, I think it's your best bet. Be advised that some people (probably very few) cannot ever make it work properly due to some driver issue, but that's probably true of any card out there.
 
Your Panasonic stereo may have decent quality, and then again it may be total junk.

There's a good chance that the headphone jack on the stereo sounds worse then directly from the computer. Still, its worth a try. If you can't notice a difference, then you're all set.

If you do find the receiver headphone out is bad, then you may want to look into a cheap alternative. Does your receiver have a digital input? If it did, I would say connect the receiver to the sound card with digital, and connect the headphones to the sound card with the analog DAC. This way you can use both your headphones, and your speakers. If at that point you find the sound card is not able to make the headphones loud enough, you can pick up a little headphone amp perhaps.

~Hope this helps, and good luck
 
Back
Top