Thermaltake Armor LCS Liquid Cooling System
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard BIOS 1201
X6800 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2GB Team Xtreme PC-6400 800mhz RAM
BFG 8800 GTX Ultra OC Video Card
Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music PCI Soundcard
Ageia PhysX 128MB PCI card
Windows Vista Ultimate x86 with all updates

I managed to get a 3.67ghz overclock after some tinkering, and I ran 3Dmark06 full version, registered, and with all of the tests on a 1680x1050 resolution and scored a 11176.....
is this decent?

Is it "bad" to leave the voltages set to "AUTO" in the bios with an overclock like this?

Thanks.

Thermaltake Armor LCS Liquid Cooling System
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard BIOS 1201
X6800 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
2GB Team Xtreme PC-6400 800mhz RAM
BFG 8800 GTX Ultra OC Video Card
Soundblaster X-FI Xtreme Music PCI Soundcard
Ageia PhysX 128MB PCI card
Windows Vista Ultimate x86 with all updates

I managed to get a 3.67ghz overclock after some tinkering, and I ran 3Dmark06 full version, registered, and with all of the tests on a 1680x1050 resolution and scored a 11176.....
is this decent?

Is it "bad" to leave the voltages set to "AUTO" in the bios with an overclock like this?

Thanks.

my two cents, dont ever overvolt a processor, it shortens it's life. call me a conservative overclocker but I like my stuff to last. many Asus motherboards tend to add voltage, say your cpu requires 1.35 volts for example, you set that 1.35 setting in bios only to find that the voltage is higher, this is because the motherboard will add (varies by board) voltage so generally speaking with asus and other boards too im sure, you may need to bring the voltage down a couple of settings to compensate for the additional voltage your motherboard will add to it. leaving the setting at auto you risk overvolting the processor so use monitoring to determine if your cpu is running at stock voltage tolerances and avoid voltage settings that run it over the max or close to max tolerance.

overvolting is like an athelete taking steroids............short term gains that create long term disaster.

Back