"auto-reballing"

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I tried this on a sony atom netbook a about a month ago and a toshiba notebook a few days back.

Both wouldn't post, candidates for baking. But I was too lazy to rip them off, so I tried
something new.

First was the netbook. I left it on for like 15 minutes. I figured that since the CPU was not running, the thermal protection would not kick in and maybe temp would go high enough to "bake" the chipset and hopefully the fan would prevent it from burning.

The bottom of the case was pretty hot to the touch, maybe its working....

about 15 minutes later, I let it cool down for a few minutes. Then .... low and behold its working.

Same thing with the toshiba notebook, same process, didn't work, on 2nd try I left it for about half an hour and now its back to life.

The netbook belongs to my wife's brother in law, he's been using it till now with no problems so far. The toshiba I'm writing this right now. so far so good.

First off, glad you got them working. And are sharing your success story, thanks for that.

Secondly, I hate that this works. This shitty craptastic solder these companies are using is horrible. It makes me mad that we have to go to great lengths to get electrics to work, by over heating them. These companies need to step up and start using quality solder.

First off, glad you got them working. And are sharing your success story, thanks for that.

Secondly, I hate that this works. This shitty craptastic solder these companies are using is horrible. It makes me mad that we have to go to great lengths to get electrics to work, by over heating them. These companies need to step up and start using quality solder.

I'm with you on that one, it seems "baking" is pretty common these days. Back in the day, blown capacitors were a common failure, but today its overheating.

At first it only affected mainly nvidia chipsets in laptops, but I've seen video cards, mobos, even tablets and smartphones affected by this.

It's just thermal expansion that causes it to work after warming up, and is a trick of getting some malfunctioning electronics working since time immemorial. The temps do not get high enough to reflow the solder.

I was a toshiba tech just after they changed to lead free mainboards.

After this they had a whole lot of issues from heat/motherboard flexing in plastic casing causing dry broken solder joints on the northbridge.

This fix could work but I'd expect the plastics to go first!

is the government making all the electronics go lead free too? i know in plumbing that is the case.

Back