Auto-open program for DVD ISO's?

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for a program that works differently than Daemon Tools, UltraISO or any other program that mounts a CD/DVD image into another drive letter. What I need is something that just opens it one step further, like a typical Windows folder.

If you run a virgin copy of XP without WinZIP or WinRAR, it does this with ZIP files. It just opens them up and you can run progs directly from an archive. I want to do the same with ISO files.

Does such a program exist?

Robert

I don't understand what you mean when you say "open it one step further." Couldn't you just mount with one of the programs you mentioned and browse to it in Windows Explorer?

You are trying to shave off 1-2secs of time? LOL! I bet you've wasted more time thinking about this than all the extra clicks combined that you will ever do mounting an ISO.

I don't have the option of opening it with Explorer or clicking on another drive letter. This is within a PVR application (SageTV). I'll be using a Hauppauge MediaMVP with a remote, so it won't be a PC front end, just a PC back end. It needs to be navigate-able with a remote control from a single folder structure.

I can just archive all my DVD's with a boatload of folders, each containing their respective VIDEO_TS folder, but I would prefer to keep the ISO files intact, hence my question.

Robert

I thought you could put together a batch file that does this..

You mentioned UltraISO as not doing this, but that's exactly what it does. I've been using UltraISO for years opening, editing, and saving ISO files. You can extract files from the ISOs, etc, and work with them exactly as a zip file.

You mentioned UltraISO as not doing this, but that's exactly what it does. I've been using UltraISO for years opening, editing, and saving ISO files. You can extract files from the ISOs, etc, and work with them exactly as a zip file.

UltraISO does not do this at all. It works interactively, not through Explorer - unless there is some hidden feature I'm unaware of. :confused:

Robert

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you want to open the iso file directly, and not have to mount it in a virtual drive. That's what it seems like, by your description. If so, this is exactly how UltraISO works. When I double click an iso file on my PC, it opens much like a .zip file in Winzip. I can double click files, pictures, etc from the image and open them directly.

Running programs from an archive will work with this method, assuming they are stand-alone exes. If not, and they have related helper files, you aren't going to find an app that lets you do it, especially when you would just go back to mounting the iso in a virtual drive for access like that.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you want to open the iso file directly, and not have to mount it in a virtual drive. That's what it seems like, by your description. If so, this is exactly how UltraISO works. When I double click an iso file on my PC, it opens much like a .zip file in Winzip. I can double click files, pictures, etc from the image and open them directly.

Running programs from an archive will work with this method, assuming they are stand-alone exes. If not, and they have related helper files, you aren't going to find an app that lets you do it, especially when you would just go back to mounting the iso in a virtual drive for access like that.

No, it opens up UltraISO. That is not an option from within another program. Perhaps using the context of interacting with Explorer directly via the keyboard/mouse was a bad example. Think of the functionality as by using the open dialog box from a typical Windows program, like Wordpad or Paint. Have it open the ISO further as just another folder.

-Robert

No, it opens up UltraISO. That is not an option from within another program. Perhaps using the context of interacting with Explorer directly via the keyboard/mouse was a bad example. Think of the functionality as by using the open dialog box from a typical Windows program, like Wordpad or Paint. Have it open the ISO further as just another folder.

-Robert

It's probably opening up with UltraISO because that's the default operation. Try right clicking and "Explore" or something.

WinRAR can open ISOs of any kind as a native Explorer folder. Once WinRAR is installed, it overrides the Zip folder functionality of XP/Vista and becomes the app that handles it.

Double clicking on an ISO will open it in WinRAR once the file association of ISO > WinRAR is made; however, if you merely open the folder containing the ISO file itself, in the left pane of Explorer, you can single click the ISO entry in the left pane and the contents will then appear in the right, just like a normal folder where you can drag from but not to. WinRAR can't do modifications to ISO files as UltraISO and other ISO-specific utilities can; it can simply read them as though they were folders, basically.

Hope this helps...

WinRAR does not work. An ISO is not seen as a folder regardless of what program is associated with the .ISO extension, and I think I've tried them all - hence my question.

Robert

Back