audio problems 5.1 speakers

ColdCrow

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
289
I have creative x-fi extreme music.
5.1 Logitech speakers.
vista 64

I have installed drivers over and over again hoping to fix the problem. I have even used driver cleaners to clean out the creative junk and reinstall no luck. The one rear left speaker doesn't work sounds like its broken. When I unplug it from the sound card to my ipod the speakers all work fine. Leaving me to believe its software related.

Any 3rd party creative drivers?
I hate creative.
 
Could be mechanical. Is the plug on the logitech's for the rear pair bent or damaged? Is the jack on the x-fi damaged?
 
Vista 64? ouch. sorry man, no help here except that it is either the soundcard out put or software. more likely software.
 
nothing is damaged. Has not been touched since purchased.

That doesn't mean anything. I had similar issues once because of mice chewing through wires just enough to get them to intermittently short. The thing looked fine until I pulled everything to rewire.

Just a single rear channel like that could be software (creative's drivers always leave something to the imagination) but if it does that on every app even across reboots... physical connections are the primary consideration. It could even be something internal that fried in the speaker's control unit (or crossover, but you said you had logitech's I think).

Edit: The question is, what does the iPod do that the X-Fi does not? Is it only routing through the front channels, or is it "all channel stereo" where it isn't using the rear channel pathways (patch cables, or internal processing)?
 
Back
Top