• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio line amp???

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
5,847
I want to boost the bass level on my rear two speakers. To do this, I want what I think is called a "audio line amp". If this is not what it's called, correct it for me, and tell me exactly what it is.

It's going to go in between the line out of the sound card and the input of my receiver:

Sound card line out > bass amp > receiver in

I'd like something small, with a little knob that I can use to attenuate the bass level.

Somewhere before, I think it was MisterX or someone, builds headphone amps in a really cool fashion. I think I'm looking for something along the same lines, just I want to boost the bass level.

Is this something I can buy from some place like Radio Shack? If so, what do I look for?

And please don't tell me to build my own. ;) I'm not an electronic junky.

Thanks.
 
you probably want an EQ? or maybe a preamp with bass bost?
 
Perhaps. What kind of EQ would be best? Inexpensive, of course.

Can you provide me with some examples of what I should be looking for? I tried looking, but now an quite lost. There are tons and tons of different EQs and preamps out there.
 
Ok, I spoke to a technician at www.crutchfield.com. He basically told me there is nothing I can do about it, and that an EQ would not help me.

Help here guys? :(
 
your reciever dosent have like a bass knob or a menu that lets you turn up the bass??

are you trying to get more bass out of your speakers or headphones or what?

what kind of speakers/headphones?

do you have a subwoofer?

you need to give us more info
 
Dammit, so sorry. That information used to be in my sig, prior to the [H]'s sig pruning effort.

Here's what I have:

PC/HT audio setup:
Cambridge MC50 center, Athena AS-B1 mains, Megaworks 510D sub, Sonance Mariner 100 rear; connected to Onkyo TX-SR500 via 5.1 multichannel

The receiver can adjust bass/treble levels, but ONLY does it for the main channels. It will not do the center nor the rears.

I'm only trying to increase the bass to my rear speakers.
 
I'm missing some information but I'll try to help you out as best I can. Are you going multichannel analog to your reciever? If you are you can just put an eq between the real channel output of computer and the rear input of the receiver. If you just use a 2 channel connection or a digital connection you're pretty much stuck. I've never felt like i needed more bass in the rear... what are you trying to achieve? You should try playing with sub placement, phase and level before you go adding components. Good luck.
 
Audiochris said:
I'm missing some information but I'll try to help you out as best I can. Are you going multichannel analog to your reciever? If you are you can just put an eq between the real channel output of computer and the rear input of the receiver. If you just use a 2 channel connection or a digital connection you're pretty much stuck. I've never felt like i needed more bass in the rear... what are you trying to achieve? You should try playing with sub placement, phase and level before you go adding components. Good luck.

I am using multichannel analog; I'm not using 2 channel nor digital, because I know in most cases it'll be limited to 2 channel audio, except on DTS/encoded tracks.

That's more what I was thinking; just putting an EQ in between. I've already tried playing with sub placement, levels, phases, etc. etc. The simple fact of the matter is that my rears (Audigy's fault) does NOT output almost ANY bass to my rears. It applys it ALL to the front. This is a known bug with the Audigy 2 ZS sound card line.

To alleviate this, it's why I want to boost the bass to the rears. I tried it with an old mixer, and it worked beautifully, but since the mixer is old, there was a lot of hiss and crosstalk, so that's out of the question.
 
I bought an X-fi, and promptly returned it. The software is nothing like the Audigy 2 software; there is no way to create my own EAX presets, and there is no software, which is EXTREMELY important to me, which controls the volume of each individual channel, save THX console, which doesn't really do the job.
 
Back
Top