• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio Hum Buzz Annoyance Kill

bencho

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
2,093
I found out that my house is not grounded properly. I plugged in my power strip and the "grounded" light is not on. Tried several other sockets and same deal. I only have two sockets in my room, both not grounded. I believe this is causing the annoying as hell 50/60hz buzz in my speakers. What's the solution?
 
I would have an electrician come out and properly ground your house.
 
Sorry, It's an apartment. Not sure if landlord will cover this... I'll have to check, but if he/she wont do it.. then?
 
Perhaps you could use 2 prong (ungrounded) to 3 prong (grounded) adapters in your outlets? Something like this. It creates a ground by using the single screw that fastens the faceplate to the electrical box. Plug some kind of UPS with a power line conditioner into one of your converted outlets and hook up your electronics to the UPS. This would give you grounded outlets and a cleaner AC power source for your gear. No more 60 Hz hum.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have no ground in your outlets, then all the components should be "floating", thus no 60Hz hum.

Are you connected to cable TV through a coax cable? If so, you are grounding through the coax, and that is the cause of the hum. In my experience, this is the cause of almost all 60Hz hum.

If not, you should go through a methodical connecting and disconnecting of your components to find out the source of the hum.

P.S. Same situation as you, no way to change it. You should also make sure your surge supressor is not designed to route the surge to the ground, as it will not work.
 
It's through my PC speakers. I have them directly hooked up to my sound card.
I guess Ill try everything again.
 
Thought it'd be be against some kind of building/electrical regulations to have ungrounded points.
 
Is it a hum, or a his? Turn the volume up all the way on the computer then control the volume with the speakers and see if it is still there at normal listening level.

Are there any long RCA interconnects? (say 20') That can sometimes cause a problem. At a minimum, the computer and speakers should be plugged into the same powerbar.
 
Thought it'd be be against some kind of building/electrical regulations to have ungrounded points.

On new installs yes, but they just didn't have such thinks 70 years ago, like the house I live in. Not only that, but there is an anti-incentive to improve things, as any major revisions would require a city inspection. Not worth the risk to the owners, as a failure could result in a condemnation.
 
My house is old... very old...

I have AudioEngine A5's and an AudioTrak Prodigy Hifi. [See Signature] I'm using the break out cable and running a miniplug from sound card to miniplug input on the speakers.

It's a hum. Turning up the speakers does not make it "hiss" louder. The hum is constant. and bloody FUCKING ANNOYING. hehe

*edit I lied... there is a constant hum. and an audible hiss when i crank it up.
 
You have me beat. Remove all the inputs to the sound card and speakers (if any other than the soundcard) and see if it is still there. If it is, it is most likely a problem with the speakers. Maybe a loose connection. See if you can find something else to hook the speakers up to and test them. Throughout, remember that everything in the circuit has to be connected to the same power outlet, and that nothing else in the system is connected to another outlet or to something else that is connected to another outlet.
 
Back
Top