• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Audigy2 zs sound problems

Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
18
Okay Iv'e checked many forums and all over the net and cannot find an answer to my problem. I am very computer savy so with that said here goes..I just went out and bought for the first time an AMD prossesor. I installed everything and it works fine with one exception, The sound card is not working good at all. Oblivion, call of duty2 just crack and pop and make the game lag like hell. The sound however does not allways sound like crap. On start up it sounds just fine and on minor applications no problem. Even when I played GUN it seemed to work fine. I have done everything I know and even some things Iv'e read on the net from forums and from the various company's (I.E: AMD, creative, ECS) I have uninstalled drivers, windows, cards, tried the first PCI slot for the sound card and everything. I have switched things of and on to no prevail! Please there must be somebody out there that has had this same issue. I even contacted support for the motherboard. Im afraid to go buy the X-FI in fear it's not the card,and if the card is for some reason bad I can deal with that, but I just have to solve this myself for my own sanity. So with that being said I hope that I have been very precise and by pass the obvious posts and get a resolution, I appretiate any help!

Here are my computer specs as good as I can tell (Im at work doing this!)
AMD Athlon 64 2.2ghz
ECS K8T890-A mother board 1.0a
G-Force 7800 GT 256mb
Audigy2 zs
x2 512mb ddr2100 133mhz RAM
450 watt power supply
2 IDE hard drives (WD & Seagate) 200MB each
Windows xp pro service pack2
DirectX 9.0c
and all the most up to date friggin drivers.........thanks for listning!
 
feeling 4 ya man, that sucks big time. got another sytem to put that audigy into?
 
I had a VERY similar problem in BF2 (only game I play), and FINALLY got it fixed with this soultion. Good luck. I wasted a week of my life wrestling this. Same card as well.

Interesting article on techspot about OpenAL and Audigy 2 in 3D Games:

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/audigy2/audigy2-7.shtml

The OpenAL DS3D wrappers that typically come with the 3D games should be
disabled to make sure that the audigy 3D OpenAL functions work correctly.

In BF2 the wrapper is the file BF2OpenAL.dll in the Battlefield2 directory. This is exactly a default OpenAL wrapper DLL that is mentioned in the techspot article.

As long as this wrapper was active I had crashes/freezes when I set the sound to HARDWARE and HIGH with my Audigy 2. Then I replaced this wrapper by the Creative OpenAL32.dll library (NOT THE WRAPPER wrap_oal.dll, the latest OpenAL32.dll from 2005). Now BF2 runs fine on HARDWARE and HIGH, no crashes anymore.

I have opened an EA support case to ask for detailed explanations regarding the OpenAL wrapper DLL together with Audigy 2 cards and drivers. I strongly believe that the game does not take full advantage of the Audigy 2 drivers if the default wrapper is active.

This topic has come up in one or two other threads about sound issue. But if it really is important for Audigy 2 users to disable the wrapper for BF2, then I think this should be a sticky.

Now we should just find out (hopefully with EA input) if this really is the case. It definitely helped my with my Audigy 2 to get the game running with HIGH sound settings and no more crashes/freezes in the sound driver.

EA mods: Could you please clarify if the techspot recommendation holds for BF2? It definitely does for me but is it for all Audigy 2 users?


The latest OpenAL32.dll can be downloaded here:

http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe

This one should be used for 3D games if you have an Audigy 2. Without wrappers according to many resources on the net.

Note that even some games overwrite the OpenAL32.dll in the WINDOWS\system32 directory with incompatible versions when being installed. Or the games contain their own wrapper DLLs. Replace the wrapper DLLs as well as the WINDOWS\system32\OpenAL32.dll with the latest OpenAL32.dll from Creative.
 
Thanks man. I actually just found out there is a gaming company in one of my buildings and they had some tech's so i ask them and they gave me a few ways to trouble shoot. If I dont get an easy way from here i guess I'll have to stop being lazy and crack the case a shift some othere things :)
 
By the way I read about the kx project sound drivers and tried theses. I didnt fix my problem but I wondered if anyone new about these drivers. Thnx
 
Well I removed the card and used the onboard soundcard and this made the system run fine. So I think maybe the soundcard obviously needs more resorces and is being starved, however I do have 1 gig of ddr2100, It supports ddr 400mhz does anyone think this would help the card situation or maybe more ram?

John www.thebeerguys.com
 
Back
Top